Where Da Widget Went?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sasha3, May 17, 2005.

1. Sasha3 macrumors member

So far the Widgets I downloaded had to be manually installed in the computer/library/widget folder. Then, the latest StickyBrain update had one too, so I clicked install and it go bye-bye. Turns out it created another widget folder in ~/library. Will these two folders cause a conflict? Oh, and while I'm at it, why do some of the downloads open to two versions of the same widget? For instance: bonSearchinfo.wdgt, and bonSearchinfo1.wdgt.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm still learning about Mac's file organization myself. I wonder if your bonSearchinfo widget installed itself, and you double-clicked again to run the install, thus creating two files (one being assigned the ***1.wdgt)?

What's the difference in user>library>widgets and computer>library>widgets ? I assume the computer is shared throughout the users on the Mac.

I raised more questions rather than answered yours, perhaps we'll get one of the intelligent ones to clarify for us. :p

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Wigets that go in /Library/Widgets will be available to all users on your Mac.
    Widgets in the Library of your home folder will only be available to you.
    Your Mac will scan both folders, they can co-exist without a problem.

The double widget is probably due to an automatic install, followed by a user install of the widget, like iSaint thought. Just remove one of them.
    I'm not sure where the widget installs automaticly or what folder it uses for user installs, not at my mac, can't test sry. My guess would be /Library/Widgets for auto installs, user Library for user installs.

i guess ;)

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Apple widgets and ones you want available across all users are in HD/Library/Widgets

Local users ones are in ~/Library/Widgets if they are installed from an application or by Safari

Dashboard will scoop up widgets from either and display on its toolbar. I did read something somewhere in one of those 'malwidget' threads that the ~/Library had priority over the System ones which was how some of the malwidgets mimicked Apple ones.