Where did all my space go??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jamiedodger, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jamiedodger macrumors newbie

I have suddenly lost all my space on my 4GB ipod nano.

It is all taken up with the orage bar saying 'other'. I have unchecked the Display Art work icon and it is still full :( I plugged in my ipod while i was playing something through windows media player and it started syncing things from there. I stopped this and have unchecked all those songs it had added but when i plug it in it says there is no space to sync items. Its all this orange 'other' folder.

Can someone help??

If i click resotre will that wipe all the songs on the ipod? :confused:

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If you were to enable disk use on the ipod could you possibly view the files and see had taken up the space that way?

3. jamiedodger thread starter macrumors newbie

i've checked the Enable Disk Use box but now how do i check to see whats on it now?

Also it took ages for the screen to be ready (Do not disconnect appeared for ages) but seconds on itunes (says ipod sync is complete). Whats going on?

If i were to restore my ipod would it wipe my itunes as well? I am thinking that this may get rid of everything and then i can simpley put it across again.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Well there should be an ipod icon on the desktop that you can open and browse for files that might be taking up space.

As to restoring, I'm not entirely sure. I believe if you do it on the computer you use, it shouldn't do, but I've never done it. I know if you wipe it on another computer then sync it with yours, then yes in most cases it will delete your library.

But you should be able to do it, and I'm sure someone can confirm that it should work.

6. jamiedodger thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly i don't have the icon on my desktop. When i plug it in it appears very briefly in My Computer but when i click on it it says i dont have access to open it. :(

Anyone else on wheather or not the whole of my itunes library will be deleted if i restore the settings on my ipod? I will be using the same PC that the ipod has always been plugged into.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Ah, you're working in Windows. You should have said. I don't suppose you're using Vista are you? iTunes has documented problems with that (i know the update fixed most, but still some remain).

8. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

If you restore the settings on your iPod, your iTunes library on your computer will not be deleted.

My 60gig 4th gen iPod suddenly stopped in the middle of a song and locked up about two weeks ago. I hooked it up and did the restore. I still have all 30+ GB of music in iTunes and the iPod works again.

BUT, do a backup of your iTunes library first, despite my experience. Better safe than sorry…