Where did Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre go?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ArmouredGuitar, Aug 2, 2005.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Maybe I m just blind and cant seen to find it at aspyr.com. Is this game still coming out or did they scrap it or something? It was on there site for awhile but it is not now.

2. msbsound macrumors regular

Not the news you wanted

Found this on the forums over at inside mac games. The second post is from Glenda at aspyr and she details what happened.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21249

3. plastique45 macrumors regular

4. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Noo... if only 5,000 people bought Black Hawk Down... and BHD was also the 1st-2nd worst seller this year... thats small, but not "dead."

5. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

It might have been the poor reveiw macaddict gave it. That was enough to convince me not to buy it

6. msbsound macrumors regular

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

bow-bow-bow...and another one bites the dust...

Good riddance.

The mac needs less mediocre '3-year-old-ports' of PC games, and more games involving the Havok physics engine (Halo 2, Half-Life 2, everything else in the world)...

After playing 'Halo' and 'Splinter Cell' on my new Powerbook - I realized that mac porting companies don't actually test and optimize their products.

I would've mentioned 'Doom 3' - but really - saw that from a mile away.

But honestly, 'Splinter Cell'? No reasons for that game running like ass...

So - no money for them.

8. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Umm... Halo was by Bungie... and was supposedly originally begun for the Mac, without the PC in mind. So I dunno if it plays worse on Macs because of "porting issues." Maybe its your Laptop? Or web lag?

9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Ummm...Halo wasn't ported by Bungie.

The fact that it started as an RTS game for the mac, or was originally planned for the mac - has little to nothing to do with the fact that it was a terrible port.

The problem is - mac porting companies are lazy and worthless. In the end, I often times wonder if they even test their own products.

They attack 'piracy' as the main reason for why mac gaming is dead - I blame them.

If they put out a product worth paying for - people would buy it. Instead, they've decided to take advantage of us.

Well, no money for them.

When an old game like 'Splinter Cell' can't run (I'd say >10FPS = 'can't run') on a brand new Powerbook - you have issues.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Porting houses have their hands tied. Read any of the articles on why Doom 3 is slow on the Mac? It's Apple's fault. OpenGL support sucks because Apple isn't good with making the compatibility layer compared to the PC. Some people will go as far as to say that the hardware isn't all that great either. I'm not going to say I believe that completely, but let's not kid ourselves about how lagging Apple hardware is when it comes to gaming vs. the latest PCs.

Finally, the Mobility Radeon 9700 in PowerBooks only have about half the power of a Radeon 9800 Pro, about 2/3 the power of a Radeon 9600 Pro, and almost comparable to the nVidia GeForceFX 5200 (and we know how bad that card is). Any serious Mac gamer uses PowerMacs with at least a Radeon 9600 Pro. You shouldn't be surprised a PowerBook can't handle either game as well as you would hope. You're going to have to lower your settings if you want something at 30 FPS or better.

11. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Oh - nuts...

Forgot to mention:

Those figures were based on the lowest possible god-damned settings.

Glad we've cleared that up then.

What's really neat is - my PC came with a GF420MX. Which - is worse than the 5200.

It ran 'Doom 3' on low detail. Not great frames - but it ran laps around the mac version.

My 9700 would give me some pretty hot frames if was staring at the wall. Man - it looked almost as nice as my PC with the 9800pro! I remember admiring the lighting effects in the Mars Base labs before the demons broke loose. As long as I would stay close to a wall - glorious!

But as soon as those imps started teleporting - we were in the negatives.

Good times.

Also, that card (420MX) played through 'Half-Life 2' - no problem (granted - it wasn't as pretty).

So - I'm going to have to agree with you on the OGL statement - but disagree on the video card suggestion. Mainly - because 'Halo' ran like balls even on nice PCs.

Crappy video cards can handle impressive games - it's up to the developers to optimize the settings for a wide range of hardware.

The funny thing is - I can run 'UT2k4' at full detail, 'WoW' - and they run just fine (despite the fact that 'UT2k4' can't install mods without santaduck's tools - has broken VOIP, broken sound in general, etc., etc.).

Either way - mac gaming? Oh - it's dead baby...at least - until those Intel machines take over...

12. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, if you put it that way, I agree completely.

Doom 3 is just a lost cause with Apple's lacking OpenGL support.

Halo: I can agree isn't the fastest of games on either Macs or PCs. So, nothing more to say about that.

And Mac gaming is definitely hurting right now with the lack of Havok, and those Intel chips could make up for some lost speed.

That clears up everything for me, too.