Where did everyone go?

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Jun 18, 2004.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm just going to post the names of the users I haven't seen in ages...it seems every thread is filled with people I've never seen before...

jefhatfield
    eyelikeart
    jelloshotsrule
    krossfyter
    king cobra
    durandal7
    ambitious lemon
    medea
    mac bandit
    shadowfax(?)
    snowy river
    patrick o'brian
    teabgs

that's all i can think of right now. feel free to add any more names you guys can think of. are you guys still posting here?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think I have seen eye around, some people just come and go it goes with the territory. I have not seen enisgnParis for awhile either, he had a lot of posts here.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ensign paris left a long time ago :( he was the biggest UK poster when I joined up.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I've been busy putting a couple of bolts into "WarezCD" and watching him burn alive. [​IMG]
    (Note: Apparently the mods either moved the thread or deleted it, and I didn't think of saving it...anyone that has it saved message me)

Actually, I'm taking a summer college course (called Calculus C), so I have a lot more free time than I did during the spring and fall semester. And where have you been?

5. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Heh, I've been working a lot. My month of June has effectively been booked solid. I'll be leaving to go to Malaysia for nearly 3 weeks soon, so I don't know if I'll be able to post here during that time.

Can you believe that it's been two years since you, me, Alphatech, and krossfyter were spamming the hell out of that Alien thread. :D :D

Crazyness. I can't believe it's been that long.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

To me, it seems like it's been both a short time and a long time. It seems like such a short time ago because we still enjoy any opportunities to have as much fun as we did in the alien thread, and that we do such activities seemingly every day, couple of days, week, couple of weeks, etc. But it's been such a long time ago, because very little of the thread has been discussed in a long time, so recalling its spammatic discussion isn't so easy.

Alphatech is stationed over at TheTechPub as Akira, as he has been for a few years now. It's gotten at least 600% more active since early-mid 2003, because some people from the TechTV (plus Comcast) forums got fed up with how they were run, and relocated at the Pub.

7. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

yeah, I'm still registered there, but that forum just didn't do it for me.

I have been posted a lot recently at the appleinsider.org forums. Not to be confused with the appleinsider.com forums, since there was a very large and hostile split between two of the admins, both of which used to run appleinsider.com.

I've been posting as propellerhead at the .org forums and as job at the .com forums.

Stop by the .org forums sometime. It's a nice, clean, ad free forum running vB3 with around 250+ users. And we're all mac users. :D

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

don't forget me! =) nah I haven't been overly active here for a year or so now.. I post randomly but yeah.. I'm more at funmac where it's still a small community and everyone knows each other kind of..

quite a few of the members came from here like mac15, silvorx, ambitiouslemon, mj_1903, g6orbust, andrej :p, ME etc etc

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well for those that feel the urge to say very pointless spam-like one-liners that aren't welcome at MR but are meant in a casual and somewhat comical manner, this is your thread.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think macbandit still posts, but i am still here, but not as much

i post in the community section the most, but will venture into hardware rumors/discussion, and the political section, too

i don't really know who are the frequent posters anymore, or if there are any daily visitors to macrumors

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

My observances...

jefhatfield - jef hath spoken
    eyelikeart - busy working, but still around
    jelloshotsrule - "
    krossfyter - not sure, he shows up every now and then (last active 6/03/04)
    king cobra - KC hath spoken
    durandal7 - not sure (last active today)
    ambitious lemon - busy working, but still around
    medea - still around, just posting less
    mac bandit - "
    shadowfax(?) - "
    snowy river - not sure (last active 6/09/04)
    patrick o'brian - been posting more the last couple of days
    teabgs - working on thesis project, not posting as much

12. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

medea's been kind enough to recommend a lion's share of songs to dailytunes, so I know he's still here, if not posting as much...

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I still read daily, and do a fair bit of moderating but i just haven't been into posting.

14. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

long time

I come by now and then to see what is goin on but I guess I dont have the time I used to have.

-evildead

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I don't have as much free time as I did two years ago. I still come by and read the news and I sometimes drift through the forums to see what's going on.

I don't post as much because it seems that most of the older users are gone and I don't recognize most of the new users.

16. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Bump for good measure...

Since it's been a while since we've recapped where everyone's been and what they've been up to, this thread might prove useful.

This might also help some of the newer, more prolific users of the forums to get to know some of the older members.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Some of us were long-time but infrequent lurkers long before joining. Many of these names are familiar...

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

This is like a "Appreciated dead artists thread," makes me wonder if my name would get added to the list if i stopped showing up :eek:

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

yeah, it's basically a new crew around macrumors these days

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It would be interesting to know how many of the pre-10k UID's are active, maybe pre-5k.

Oh Dr. Q!!? ;)

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

#2423 reporting for duty ;)

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I lurked for a while too so not all those names are unfamiliar.

New blood isn't necessarily a bad thing - better that than the forum dying out when older members find new interests?

From my experiences with another 'fandom', it's easy to fall out of the habit of visting a forum or web community when real life intrudes. And sometimes, it can be hard to go back and fit right back in again - the community has grown and changed and you expect it to be the same. So you almost 'lurk' in reverse...

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'll get right on it, sir!

However, your specs are ambiguous. By 10K you probably mean 10000, but to me it means 10240. :) However, it doesn't matter, because it's better to go by date anyway, e.g., study members from the first year or two that the forums were active.

Next we have to define "active". But rather than pick an arbitrary cutoff and define members as either active or inactive, we could compute a distribution, to see how many members have been unheard from for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc.

So here's what I suggest: I'll compute a distribution of "time since last post" for members who have ever posted and who registered June 5, 2000 thru June 4, 2001, which is the first year of vBulletin's use. Then we can see if it shows anything interesting. If so, I'll do another year.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I found something interesting already. I have never noticed that member dfa4, with member number 1693, has been registered since June 4, 2001 (the last day of the first year of the vBulletin forums), and posted as recently as last month.

So dfa4, who I'm sorry for not noticing before, gets credit for longevity!

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member