Where did iSync go?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jwp1964, Jun 18, 2005.

1. jwp1964 macrumors regular

iSync seems to have disappeared from my computer (see sig). I am running Tiger 10.4.1. I even searched the Tiger install disk and did not find iSync. Anyone have any suggestions?

There was an iSync icon in my dock, but it had a large question mark in it and did nothing when I clicked it. I attempted to drag it to the desktop and it disappeared. :confused:

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Seems you've deleted it somehow.

Try a Spotlight search on it to see what files are still there.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

maybe you moved it by accident from the applications folder?

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....System Preferences -> .Mac -> Sync....oh yeah!

5. jwp1964 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replies...screenshot of spotlight search revealed...

I'm not a power user, but it stands out to me that some kind of install or execute file for iSync is missing????? :confused:

6. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Unlike under Panther when everything was done in iSync... Tiger splits things up.

As noted above if you are after sync'ing with .Mac it is under System Prefs...
    if you are after sync'ing your iPod (contacts / address book) that is now under iTunes!

iSync should still be under your Applications folder though - which now in my case only sync's my phone. You can still sync everything though - as I have iSync icon appearing in my system menu (top right of screen) that then allows me to sync everything up there easily.

7. abc123 macrumors 6502

the changed syncing thing has me all confused. every semester i sync my calendar with all my class times to my ipod and this morning when i went to do it, my ipod is no longer in isync. things like that really annoy me, little changes that are not made clear to you. i have no idea when the ipod syncing was moved to itunes since i only use it twice a year, at first i freaked out thinking that my ipod was broken. :(

i still have isync as an application on my computer though. looks like yours got deleted some how?

8. jwp1964 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Any ideas on how to "reinstall" just iSync? Need it for my phone :confused:

9. abc123 macrumors 6502

10. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

In my top ten things I hate about Apple, the fact that they royally F'ed up syncing in Tiger is #1 by far.

I sync my iPod in iTunes.
    I sync my cell phone in iSync.
    I sync my .Mac settings in System Preferences.

Oh yeah. Easy.

Stupid Apple. SO STUPID.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The 'About iSync' window says that it can sync iPods. However, when I try to scan for devices, my iPod doesn't show up. :confused:

12. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

With the one of the update to iTunes, iSync would alert you that "iTunes now supports syncing your contacts and calendars." You cannot add an iPod to iSync anymore. It is done through iTunes. :mad:

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

14. jrichie macrumors regular

I am glad I found this thread as I spent about 2 hours yesterday wondering why my ipod would not turn up in isync!! Great.....

Thanks for the change Apple!

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....when you stop bitching for a minute every time Apple changes something and think about it...you may see that there is a method to their madness. 10.4 brought new syncing enhancements between computers that do not really apply to what gets sync'd on your iPod - keychains, mailbox's etc etc...so while there is a bit of initial confusion for those that cannot be bothered to RTFM it *does* make some sense to separate the iPod sync from the .Mac computer sync....oh yeah!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I want syncing to be done using iSync. All of it.

If not, then why not add a sync feature in Address book, another separate one for iCal, etc? Why? Because its a pain in the ass if they do that, which is why iSync was invented!!

SJ lost the plot.

17. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Here's Apple's explanation

Full explanation

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, but that is still the most unnecessary thing ever. I wanna sync it all at once, and while it would be great to do it simply by using the trusty old "Sync Devices" button in iSync, it would be even better if the button was in the menu and allowed me to sync my phone just by clicking the menu.

This is a step backwards.

Another thing that doesn't make sense is syncing the address book. You need to click on the Bluetooth symbol in address book before it syncs with your phone. Why? Its pointless? I need to open Address Book and iSync just to sync addresses. Why doesn't iSync just work on its own? :confused:

19. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Ok, I see what you mean. However, you can add the "sync now" button to the menu bar (by selecting the "Show Status in menu bar" button in the Sync preference pane), but you do need iSync open for it to sync devices. However, if you do what Apple suggests (have iSync start at startup), I guess it does work as a 1 click solution:

All in all, not nearly as elegant as under Panther, but perhaps the syncing technology works better this way? I haven't tried to sync my phone under Tiger yet, as I haven't upgraded at work yet. Maybe a reason not to!