Where did MacOSRumors go?

Discussion in 'Community' started by wwworry, May 18, 2004.

1. wwworry macrumors regular

Let's face it: mac rumors don't matter until you're just about ready to buy something. But it does have some entertainment value like following your favorite football team. So even though they are wrong or too vague to be useful most of the time I kinda miss macosrumors. It seems like their site has been down for the last week.

Any info?

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Their site has been going up and down over the last few weeks. Even when the site is up it is rarely updated. My favorite part is when they put up promises of when the next update will occur, and then fail to meet them. The next time you visit the "promise" has mysteriously disappeared and there will be no update.

I didn't think it was possible, but I think macosrumors is actually getting worse.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Its been on the blink for a few weeks now...ever since they got a rumor dead on...?

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I hope they never come back.

They make the mac community look bad.

scem0

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Bah, their servers took a freakin' nose dive into 2002 and, apparently, hasn't bounced back and stayed bounced up high enough for long enough. Do they still want donations? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He forgot to pay for the renewal last time it went down for a while, but this time it's up-to-date with Network Solutions.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

ah... the legend will live on.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's starting to look like we will never see them again... It's a shame really. They weren't always too terribly accurate, but it was a nice read sometimes.

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Yes it is really a shame. It was always fun reading. Isn't anybody here who knows a little bit more about what happened to the site ?

10. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

the last thing i saw about a week ago was a msg with there ip address to go to, since they were haveing some type of server issues. I dunno what the ip was, but the next day it would't load so idunno if you coul acess it by the ip. I knew i should have writen it down lol. It was always a fun site to read, never took it seiously though thats why we have MacRumors :D

-Neal

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If y'all want me to, I'll post some ludicrous rumors on my website every couple of days.

I'll be sure to erase any evidence of it being wrong though immediately after the rumors are disproved :rolleyes:.

scem0

12. Gyroscope macrumors regular

I am sure they will come back. Man they are like Rolling Stones. :)

13. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

lol thata halarious and so true

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I see it more as MacRumors.com is CNN while MacOSRumors.com is the Daily Show. Both are good, for their own reasons.

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

off topic but i dont care...I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Thanks, see the full picture on my deviantART page located in my sig.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This is almost starting to seem like a yearly ritual to see if people still care.

18. focusin macrumors newbie

very true... you can't knock MOSR; it's like the grandfather of the rumor sites. I remember reading rumors back in the Gil Amelio days there...

19. iccy82 macrumors newbie

iccy82

whats the foxnews equivalent? :p

macosrumours had a lot of trouble with Denial of Service... but i guess no one could keep up with macrumours...

20. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

At the moment even that is not working. It looks like they are really gone.

RIP MacOsRumors

Cheers

21. logicat2001 macrumors regular

"MacOSRumors.com is the Daily Show"

Except the Daily Show is sharp-witted, insightful, exceedingly clever and worth spending time to watch, IMHO.

MacOSRumors, as much as it could be entertaining to learn of yet another new rumor, seemed to be a hack job that pandered to advertisers while regurgitating much of what was found in many other places around the net. Half their posts were empty promises to post "bigger, better information in just a few more days", which kept people visiting their site (and hitting the advertisements), except that nothing would be posted. Rinse, repeat.

Glad they're gone.

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

they would also say, update LATER TONIGHT, and thne it would be like four days later ....

i hope they're really dead this time. I understand that they had real info at one time, a long time ago but that doesn't mean they still have any information.

the rumor industry kind of hit is peak last year and then hit the downfall. Spymac left the rumor game, LoopRumors hasn't updated in a year, MOSR is gone ...

23. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

It's Sad

I used to read them all the time when I was in college. One of the first mac centric sites I turned to. The other was macintouch. use to read those two sites everyday. Oh well. They have't benn the same in a long time.

24. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

What I hated about macosrumors.com was that a good portion of their news was about their site... dowtime/updates/upgrades/people sick/etc... I don't read nerdy news to hear about the nerds. I could just talk to people in the next cubicle if I wanted that!

Plus, what someone else mentioned about "Update later tonight...", and there being no update. Better to just not say anything, and just do the update when you do it.

I hope they just give up and let it go.

Lee Tom