Where did my Bluetooth Module go!?!?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bostonwhaler1, Sep 11, 2004.

1. bostonwhaler1 macrumors member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey everybody. Just did a quick search on this through the forums, but it looks like this is an isolated incident.
    When I booted up this morning, I noticed that the Bluetooth icon in the Menu Bar was indicating "Not Available". I thought that was strange, so I tried to open any Bluetooth-related app and they all tell me that I don't have the Bluetooth Module installed! What's the deal?
    Can anyone see any reason for this happening?
    It's a 15" AlBook G4 1.5Ghz w/BUILT-IN BLUETOOTH! Heck, I was using BT just the other day! How does it just disappear?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    are you still under warranty? if so i would contact Apple ASAP and get them to fix it, its not like you can try reseating it like airport
  3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    did you perhaps boot into safe mode? by pressing shift on boot up? reboot
  4. bostonwhaler1 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I'm still under my 1-year warranty. It seems odd that it would become disconnected because I'm very careful with my machine.

I've tried rebooting, but to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now one more question... As much as I am ashamed to admit it, I have one or two bits of illegitimate software on my PB. Should I make a point of removing this software if I'm sending it off to Apple for repairs? Even if I delete the apps, will they be able to tell from supporting files around the hard drive? Or am I way over-concerned about this?

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help.
  5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't worry about the software. However, do be sure to make a back up of your hard drive. It is always possible that the may wipe it as part of the repair, so you always want to have a backup of all essential data before sending in your PowerBook. Them erasing your hard drive will have nothing to do with what is on it, but could be considered necessary as part of a repair. That being said, I highly doubt that they would touch your hard drive in the process of fixing your BlueTooth, but it is better to be safe than sorry.