where did the 160 gig iPod go?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tooshaggy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I thought with the newest iPod updates Apple would raise the bar in iPod storage with a bigger unit than 160 gigs. Why are they only selling the 120?

Is there something wrong with the 160?

Are they not going to offer such a thing again??

2. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

The 160GB used a two platter hard drive, and Apple wanted to eliminate that extra thickness from the lineup, so they discontinued it and boosted the capacity of the 80GB to 120GB. When larger, single platter hard drives are made available, then they will offer a larger iPod. Also, I believe that the 160GB was the worst selling of the iPod models, that was also why they dropped it.

TEG

3. macrumors member

macsForLife

I think eventually the 240 will come out, just be patient. Although I am surprised that they didn't announce it then and there. There might be supply issues though, now that Microsuck is leeching off the 1.8" drives too now.

4. macrumors newbie

When the marketing tagline on the Apple Store site for the Classic is:

"One size fits all. The new iPod Classic."

...that makes me think the 240GB may not come out. I'm starting to believe that based on the poor sales of the 160GB that Apple thinks most people don't want a big iPod.

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors 65816

iCantwait

7. macrumors 68040

motulist

240 GB iPod will probably come out sometime within the next couple of months, if not sooner. The 240 GB drives JUST came out a couple of days ago, so Apple wasn't able to have them ready in time for the big event. Or at least that's the most likely deal that I've heard yet.

8. macrumors newbie

I'm curious who is saying (or why you think) that is the most likely scenario. The 240GB Toshiba HD was announced as about to go into production. And based on their release pattern from the past (4 months is the shortest time), the earliest they would bring out another model is January (which is also after the holidays, so they can burn off a lot of 120GB, and 160GB for that matter...).

I'm playing it safe with the 160GB I bought on Tuesday. I'm sorry I waited this long to get it. I think whether Apple brings out a 240 will be based on sales, not the availability of a drive. I'm not helping my own case by buying a 160GB -- I'm telling Apple to make a 240GB, despite myself!

9. macrumors 6502

I read this thread at work and meant to point out the obvious, but then when searching around for a 160 (wish I'd bought one earlier too, but around april, I decided to wait til september) I found someone already wrote a whole article about it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/135490/2008/09/classicseatwarmer.html

The classic now tops out at 120 gig so that we don't have to wait for 128GB flash chips to become affordable enough for a touch to feasibly house two of them to kill the hd-based ipod off altogether. end of. Speaking as someone who looks after their cds, computers, hds (complete with unmanageable lossless collection) and hd-based media players with the utmost care, it's a bit annoying to realize that the wind is already blowing that way, cos I'd have gotten quite a bit more mileage out of that 240gig iPod than I will out of a 160 - once I track one down.

10. macrumors 604

gkarris

I doubt Apple will use the dual platter 240.... 120 Gig should be enough for most people.

The 160 Gig will appear again when the single-platters go to that next year...

11. macrumors 6502a

Yep, there will be a big event to announce the "new" 160Gb iPod and we'll be all expected to clap along like trained seals.

12. macrumors member

macsForLife

Even 240 is not enough for a lot of people. Why would they release another 160 when they could release a 240?

13. macrumors 68030

Since 240 GB HDD is a dual platter variety, which translates to thicker iPod, I doubt your prognosis. During the presentation, Steve Jobs specifically said many people prefer thinner iPod classic so they are eliminating the fat one. When and if larger single platter 1.8" HDD becomes available, larger capacity iPod classic may be introduced, but given shrinking interest in 1.8" HDD, we may get 128 GB flash memory iPod touch instead.

14. macrumors 68020

Brien

For a lot of people, even 500GB wouldn't be enough. It's like chasing rainbows, and Apple knows it.

People will have to get accustomed to not being able to carry all their music and video content at once.

15. macrumors member

I bought a 160gb about a month ago. Love it so far. Only have like 81gb's of music but its nice to have that headroom.

16. macrumors 65816

'One Size Fits All' is the most UN-Apple like slogan I've ever heard.

You know they are doing something stupid when they have to say something like that....

17. macrumors 65816

LOL. You could say that about every single product in the entire technology sector. Normally known as 'progress'.

18. macrumors 68000

krye

With the addition of the Touch and the iPhone, platter based iPods have becoming a niche product. I don't think there are that many people that want to take their entire collection with them anymore. I think most people just carry the best if the best. Once flash is cheap enough to offer a 128G model, you'll be kissing the Classic goodbye.

19. macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I think Apple will keep the Classic always. People are going to want a simple, cheaper iPod, many simply don't care for all of the Touch's bells and whistles.

Apple are the leaders in the portable music player market and they will lose out on a lot of customers by dropping their classic, original and simple music playing iPod.

20. macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think Apple didn't release the 240 GB iPod classic because they probably couldn't assure themselves of a steady supply of the 1.8" 240 GB hard disk drive. By Macworld SF 2009, that supply issue may be resolved, and Apple may release the 240 GB classic at that show.

21. macrumors 6502a

I totally agree. "One size fits all" is quite a contrast to "Think different".

The 160GB iPod is in the refurb store waiting for a 240GB transplant.

22. macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm thinking of buying the 160gb in the refurb store. I checked in the clearance list, and the 160gb was listed as "previous generation". Is there really any difference between the 160gb and the "new" 120gb model aside from the hd size? IS there any new features in the 120 that the 160 doesn't have?

23. macrumors member

Isn't this where the Nano comes into play? The capacity of the Nano seems to double every year.

24. macrumors 6502a

yes.

the nano is the new ipod (well has been for years)

the ipod classic is for storage-freaks.

25. macrumors newbie

Oh my freaken god. I had waited so freaken long just for a size gig update to get an iPod, and now they go and make it 40 gigs smaller and for the same size? That is a load of bovine excriments.

Screw Apple. Even if I did get this "240 gig" iPod, it would probably be outrageously priced at like 500 dollars.

I feel like a fool for waiting for something great from Apple, then just getting the same crap released only crappier than before.