Where did the software go?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MikePaulus, Oct 7, 2004.

1. MikePaulus macrumors newbie

Hi-

Just got my iBook G4 (12inch) and I can't seem to find any of the "extra" software--Sound Studio, Chess, Tony Hawk, AppleWorks, etc. These programs are not in my Applications folder.

One of the first things I did after getting the iBook was to reinstall the system software to get rid of the foreign language support and so on. I'm a little afraid that I erased the bonus software.

Someone told me that I should have the software on discs that came with the iBook. I looked, but all I have are the OS X install discs and the World Book disc. Is the software somewhere on the install discs?

Can anyone tell me where I can find my lost software?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Mike

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's probably reinstallable via the "Install Applications & Classic" option on your installer DVD.

3. MikePaulus thread starter macrumors newbie

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

do you still have the application in your utilities folder name "Software Restore"? I'm running on an apple install of jaguar upgraded to panther.. when i run that app, it tells me to insert a certain disk and it will restore all applications..

reality

5. MikePaulus thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi-

I'll look and see if I have the Software Restore utility tonight.

Thanks!

Mike

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

IF it is a refurbished model it might not have all the extra software. They usually do I think, but it says on the web page it might not have all the software that the computer origninally does.

Good luck

7. MikePaulus thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a referb, but it was bought through the Apple Store for Education. At first I thought maybe the education discount eliminated some of the software, by I checked and I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

I was kind of suspicious when, after reinstalling the OS minus the printer drivers and extra language support, I had taken around 8 gigs off the hard drive. Seemed like a lot. :rolleyes:

I'll run the "Install Applications & Classic Support" tonight and see what I find. I'm afraid that I'll need to install ALL the extra software. Oh well--I'll just trash what I don't want...

I read these boards, like, everyday--but this is the first time I've asked a question. You are all very helpful. Thanks!

Just some background--I'm REALLY happy to finally have my iBook. I sold my PB G3 (it was a Pismo) over a year ago and I've been waiting for the right Mac to come along and drain my savings account. I would have waited for the next round of iBook updates, but the Cram & Jam iPod deal was too good to pass up. Sadly, the iPod is a gift for someone else!

8. MikePaulus thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

"Install Applications & Classic Support" on the system DVD (disc 1) did the trick.

Thanks again!

Mike