where did...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dorqiekat, Jul 11, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Who thought up of apple? and why an apple? why not a pear, or a banana?

and why does most apple product start with an i? ex: ipod, isight, ibook.... etc.

2. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i know i've seen threads on this... try searching old threads

3. macrumors 6502

Apple, a homage to Apple Records
    i - for internet, as that was the catch phrase (get on the information super-highway, all that stuff) of the initial era of the iMac, it was marketed as an inexpensive way for the world to get online.

4. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

So the iPod is really the internet pod? :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Are you sure ???

How about this? ... My banana just crashed, help!!!

For Sale: New banana with pro-speakers...

Hey! I just got my banana! - Review -

PC Users would say easier to stuck your banana in your... Ok, you know where :rolleyes: :D ...

About pears... not that interesting , though ... :p

6. macrumors 6502

Check out my dual pear G5 machine. Edit: With a pair of pear processors.

7. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Hey, the fruit is the company name - the variety is the computer name. So it'd be like:

"Just bought the new Pear PowerBarnet"

Well, except that, if we follow the analogy of Macintosh->PowerMac, we'd have:

"Just bought the new Pear PowerBar".

Catchy.

iBar, eBar....

Barnet Users Group -> BUG

BarWorld, BarAddict, etc.

"Do you prefer PCs or Bars?"

If only....

;)

8. macrumors 6502

The 'i' was catchy, so it became a trademark of sorts. Kind of like the eMac was originally only available to the 'e'ducation market. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities, but that's what the 'i' stood for. I don't know if you remember the ads for the original iMac (oh, btw, I used to own one and remember the ads fondly) one of their big marketing points was one button internet access (maybe the biggest after the all in one design). Of course, they never advertised that it was an OS 8 desktop button that you had to configure through prefs (and was therefore a button available on any Mac running OS 8). Oh, read this, under the question 'What is the iMac's target audience?', and roll your eyes again. (just fyi, the info in the answer comes directly from Apple's original iMac press release)

9. macrumors 68000

5300cs

If you're asking about where the company name came from, Steve Jobs came up with it. From what I've read, he's an ardent follower of Zen Buddhism, and used to spend a lot of time meditating. He also worked a job in an apple orchard and used to spend time meditating there. That is why he chose the name Apple. The original logo shows Newton (right?) sitting under and Apple tree, but the logo was so complex, it didn't resize well; shrinking it down lost all its detail.
    Their first ads said "Take a bite out of an Apple." So the original Apple logo has the one bite taken out of it.
    Also, because meditation is usally done in total silence, Jobs insisted that the their first computers have no noisy fans, i.e. the Apple I, Apple II and original Macintosh.

(Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this :D )