Where do I download torrent files?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikebatho, Jul 5, 2005.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

I've just downloaded bit torrent from Versiontracker.

Where do I get my files to drop onto it...?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Other than LegalTorrents, I don't know many other sites are allowed to be spoken of in this forum.

3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Torrent downloads

Are torrent files illegal then?

Is there a listing anywhere of various sites, so I can make up my mind?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yep, no posting illegal info. If I were going to try to find torrents, I'd google some key words that might be in the filename, along with +torrent. Of course, you'll want to be sure the file isn't illegal before you download it, or you'd be a pirate. But there's plenty of music and software that can be found this way that's totally legit.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

BitTorrent files in and of themselves aren't illegal, but they often allow the pirating of copyright material from albums and DVDs to books and TV shows.

Similarly, discussing the technology of BitTorrent on MR is fine, but these forums are not to be used to promote or distribute pirated material.

There are legal uses for Torrent files, as grapes911 notes and rainman::|:|'s comment about Goooooooooogle is a good suggestion, but it shouldn't go any further than that.

6. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can download live bootleg audio (and on occassion video) from:

http://bt.etree.org/

These are completely legal as they only list bands that allow the recording and distribution of their live performances providing no money exchanges hands.

You can find more information on "trade friendly" bands here:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=TradeFriendly

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

and there is of cource www.bittorrent.com where there is a lovely search function that searches through trackers for you

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://uknova.com

is legal. they're very good for british TV torrents, useful for missed shows. when the TV show/series comes out on DVD it instantly gets pulled from the site. making it legal :D so long as you're british.

i dont see how mentioning BT sites is a rule-breaker here. after all BT itself isnt illegal, what they link to isnt illegal. there was some ruling recently which said that P2P and BT can do whatever they want, similar to the rule about recording TV shows. apparently. i dont know the whole thing but its a kick in the teeth for music studios and the likes!

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Quoting the above sites is OK as I said, it's the well known pirate sites that should not be advertised here and will be removed if posted.

Arn sets the rules about piracy and warez talk.

11. Spinach macrumors newbie

Ok how exactly does it work. I downloaded Azureus. Now what?

Is there a connect button like IRC? is there a server you pick? I am really clueless here. So i open Azureus then what do i do to download a song mp3 or whatever. :confused: I just heard of bit torrent today and was curious. Can someone get me started. Thanks :)

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You download a torrent file, and it has a tracking number. After it connects to the seeders, it begins to download. I have download live shows from etree before, but that was more or less it...

13. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

looks at the advertisements on this page :) torrent

14. Spinach macrumors newbie

Ok I think I got it. I tried to download a song. I picked a small one about 6MB but it was soooo slow. What is the typical time for something like that. I mean if you want to download something 100MB it would take like 2 days. What are some normal times?

What are the security issues i should be aware of???

15. amholl macrumors 6502

Using the BT client, I downloded a 700 MB show in 3.5 hrs.

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

#1 - If you have 1 seeder and hundreds of downloaders, it will go quite slow. However, if you have hundreds of seeders and you are the only downloader, I would expect your connection to be maxed out.
    #2 - If you are on a Mac, there should not really be any...

17. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Yes the FBI they are out to get you :eek:

18. Spinach macrumors newbie

Ok ..am I connecting to someone else's PC or MAC? How is this better than just downloading something through your browser.

I am currently downloading a 800MB techno-lounge music file...i think. I just picked something at random to see how it works. I would cancel it, but i am half way through. looks like i have about 2 more hours. :)

So apparently there is lots of stuff that can be downloaded. I guess you just make a queue of files and let it run all the time? Is there anything else I should know..thanks :)

19. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

thanks for the heads up. i used torrentreactor before they shut down but now i use {site reference removed by moderator} to upload my amateur garageband tracks.

20. Spinach macrumors newbie

OK so I finished DL the file. For p2p do i now leave my computer on so that others can now DL it from me. or can i just exit now?

There are 2 tabs[what is the UP speed?] is there a goof tutorial around?

Thanks for your help so far :)

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I always leave the torrent up until my upload:download ration is 1:1. Everyone hates a leecher. And the UP speed is the rate at which you are uploading bits of the file to other users...

22. Spinach macrumors newbie

:eek: I'm a leecher. I'll try to be better. So it some how records how much you DL and UL?

Also if you DL a program for your computer, do you have to burn it to a disc to install it?

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm not sure what level of detail you're interested in, but there's a good technical paper on how BitTorrent works. Look at the "BitTorrent Economics Paper", linked to on the documentation page. The basic idea is that when a bunch of people are trying to download data from the same site, the server can get overloaded and the result is that none of the downloaders are getting very good transfer rates. BitTorrent does some interesting things (described in the paper) to (re)distribute the downloading effort among all the machines participating in the "torrent". It's pretty clever in my opinion.