Where do i find and remove the "Open with..." items?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, May 2, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

I installed Adobe Photoshop trial version and it absolutely polluted my "Open with..." menu for images. It has added TWENTY EIGHT options to that menu!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

How do I get rid of them?

thankyou

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Uninstall Adobe Photoshop trial version.

3. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i couldn't find an uninstall routine. So i just dragged it and it's folder to the trash. But that didn't remove the problem.

I ran the installer again, wondering if the uninstaller was in the installer. No luck.

4. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Habe you used sherlock to find everything associated with Photoshop (sans documents you may have) and junk it?

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Mine are located here:

Macintosh HD-->Applications-->Adobe Photoshop CS-->Samples-->Droplets

Then there is one folder with Photoshop droplets and a second one with Image Ready droplets. These correspond to all the items in my open with dialog. Although, you said you deleted the application folder so I don't know why these files would not have been removed.

If this is not where the files are, try searching your hard drive for the word "photoshop" or "droplet" or the name of one of the open with apps, like "Make Button.exe".

Also, if these files are gone, you may just need to logout/login or restart for Mac OS X to realize the applications are gone, and then it will delete them from the open with dialog.

Hope this helps.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Why are these droplets there in the first place, does anyone use them? and why do they end with exe?

(I also found out that if classic isn't installed Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, and Distiller all appear twice in the open with)

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

They are supposed to be easy ways to do what Adobe considers common tasks one would want to do with an image. For example, there are droplets to quickly adjust an image's size, or to quickly convert an image to jpeg or gif. You can either drop the image file onto the droplet (hence the name "droplet") or you can use the open with command to easily access them. As for anyone using them, I don't know. I know that I don't, but I'm sure people do, or Adobe wouldn't have bothered making them. No idea why they end .exe, however.