Where do I need to look?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jessep28, Nov 30, 2006.

1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

This is yet another networking question, but I don't know where to look.

I just sold my old windows machine to a family member (good riddance!). Essentially we need the capability to share large files with each other for a couple items. We live 60 miles away, so this isn't a local home networking issue.

I am thinking right now that FTP would be the way to go for this type of transfer.

Would this be the best route, or is there another avenue that would be easier and not require a FTP server setup?

I am a novice at networking/sharing remotely with Windows/MAC machines obviously.

Input would be fantastic. Thank you.

2. garfield2002 macrumors regular

If you just need to send a few files at a time you can use iChat and AIM. :) In my experience the upper limit in file size is a few hundred MB. I've sent ~100MB files without a problem over AIM from Maryland to my family in Hawaii.

3. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

I could just mail her a CD too :).

You are right, the instant messaging option is probably the easiest.

The reason why I am leaning towards FTP is that there might be a timing difference from when the files need to be retrieved and when I can send them. I am a busy college student and that fun, exciting time known as finals week is coming up two weeks from now.

4. garfield2002 macrumors regular

Ah sounds like FTP might be the way to go. I share files between my work Macs and PCs with my home Macs and PCs quite effectively using FTP. I use the built in FTP in OSX which is quite easy to get setup. On the PC side I've had sucess with Cerberus FTP server which is free.