Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

key-lime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I cannot seem to find the exact function to do this like in Windows when I could put in a percentage and it would reduce the size down. I have gone to Edit>Crop, but the choices there only cut the photo at a certain section.

I would like to know how to do this for one photo at a time and if there is a function to do this for a group of photos at one time?

Thanks!

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Why do you want to reduce the size of the pictures? Most people do not want to reduce the size of photos for no reason.

Do you want to use a smaller version in another document or project?

Do want to reduce the amount of space on the drive occupied by your photo collection?

Do you want to send smaller versions of the photos to someone?

If you tell us what the smaller picture will be used for, perhaps we can provide some guidance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use Preview for resizing photos. It's quick and easy, whether with one or several photos.

key-lime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I am reducing them primarily to send in emails.

How do you use Preview to reduce, specifically?

key-lime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Where does tools>adjust size show up when you have a photo opened in iPhoto?

Thanks!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
As a photographer, you would want to maintain your photos at the maximum resolution (size) in the iPhoto application. You never know when you may want to print a large size photo, or extreme crop a small part of the photo to make a more dramatic version.

You will not want to email the full resolution (size) photos as they will be huge and take a lot of time to transfer. When you select the photos you want to send, select "Share" then "Email" in the top menu-bar. On the resulting layout page, look in the lower right corner for a click-menu "Photo Size". You can select several sizes (small, medium, large, and actual) to send to your email.

You can also "File / Export" the photos to the desktop and select several parameters including quality and size for the output files.

-howard

key-lime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Howard:

Thank you for your reply and detail. I have used the desktop method although the share method seems to be more convenient. I have Outlook for Mac 2011 and cannot seem to find this function to be able to quickly switch between Small, Medium, and Large. Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.