where do I start?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tall Steve, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Tall Steve macrumors member

Aug 28, 2006
    I just bought my first Mac (an iMac 20" about an hour ago). I am very excited about my purchase but and still pretty much completely lost.

Looking for recomendations for tutorials to help learn how to use my mac.

I signed up for the free trial on .mac, isn't their tutorials their?

I do not have any specific questions but am just looking for any recomendations for mac newbies.

I am sure I will have alot more questions, thanks in advance.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    their are some tutorials on .mac
    If you live near an apple store they offer workshops for free... go to them, they are very helpful. Your gonna love your imac even more once you know the ins and outs... I have one and my parents are gonna get one of their own...
  3. Tall Steve thread starter macrumors member

Aug 28, 2006
    I am planning on attending them but unfortunately there are not any today and I will not have the opportunity to go for a while.
  4. rgurup macrumors newbie

Sep 10, 2006
    Congrats on your iMac! I recently moved away from the PC a couple of weeks ago...and feel I should have done it much earlier :).

Look at the beginner guides in the Mac Basics and Help section. Its right at the top and tells you some basic stuff! It helped me...and ofcourse this forum is helpful if you get stuck with something (do a search first, you find most questions already answered). More imp, you tend to learn stuff along the way when you spend time with an app...

Good luck!
  5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    Don't press enter to open programs, it just renames them. lol

'Option' and 'Alt' are the same key on the keyboard (I think it says that on the newer ones tho)

2 of those, the second one got me for ages after switching.
  6. Tall Steve thread starter macrumors member

Aug 28, 2006
    Can't seem to find the mac basis help section?
  7. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    Some stuff i found usefull when i first switched.

- When you download applications you need to open them if they are in the .rar or .sit then place then into your application folder.
    - Drag your application folder to your dock (right side) so that you can have easy access to it. I also drag my Document folder and have it placed beside the application.
    - To burn a cd or DVD insert the media into your mac, drag and drop the files you wish to burn and then drag the media which will look like a cd to the trash. The trash then will switch to a different icon and it will start burning. You can also click the burn icon on the media after you dragged the files to it.
    - To quit an application you need to do command Q, closing the application with the red button on the window wont make it quite.
    - Dont be afraid to explorer, its very easy to find out things yourself and you wont need a tutorial for basic stuff.

If you have any questions post them here on this thread.
  8. rgurup macrumors newbie

Sep 10, 2006
    Well...just wanted to 'show-off' the print screen command I learnt (Shift-Apple-3) :D ...the enhanced section of the image shows you the links to the basic user articles. Its right on top of the posts...

Have fun!

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      File size:
      148.4 KB
  9. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    The Mac Basics and Help section is here.
  10. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2006
    just this side of heaven, CHARLESTON SC
    Thank you, I was wondering how to do that myself.

Congrats on your new imac, I just got my first mac (20") on Sunday. I just love it, my husband who didnt want a mac. Seems to like it also. My niece who is 12 was at my house yesterday and she told her dad that she wanted one just like mine... He said no! :eek:

11. Tall Steve thread starter macrumors member

Aug 28, 2006
    Thank you all,

I will be lurking a lot and trying to search my further questions prior to asking them again.