Where do the posts go?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by freeny, Jan 27, 2006.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Why do some posts disappear? They dont use any bad language or any other kind of No No's. There are no spamers either.

what gives?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

some threads get wastelanded, but i'm sure you know that.

needless and useless posts will sometimes get deleted to clean up a thread.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Any posts in particular that you are referring to?

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Useless posts (1 word replies, people posting to be first in a News thread, emoticons/IM speak, "I agree!", etc.) get removed, as does spam, OT comments, and sometimes mutliple posts by the same person if they haven't consolidated posts. Then of course there are the offensive posts, obviously.

In addition, entire threads get wastelanded at times, which negates all the posts someone made in those threads, thus decreasing their post count. Also, posts in the Political, Social and Religious Forums don't contribute to a member's overall post count.

Does that help? If so, time to wasteland this thread... :p :cool:

5. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Thanks. That seems to answer my question. I had a one word response that magically disappeared.

Not all that bothered I guess.
    Seems a little 1984? Does anyone else see the irony?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the first time it happened to me it creeped me out. but after awhile you learn why such posts are pointless really. they clutter up the forums. its nothing about keeping back what you want to say. its about keeping things organized and the discussions going.
    oh and posts in the Marketplace don't count either.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

One-word posts are almost always removed. It's one of the "Things Not to Do" in the rules.

Nobody likes to have their post removed, but the reasoning is that members benefit when other people's smilie-only or one-word posts are removed. We doubt that people want to read threads, especially in the news forums, where nearly half of the posts are one or two words, and sometimes that's what would otherwise be there.

8. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Next stop....

Attached Files:

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Holy moly I'd never known you could view wastelanded stuff. Can we put a "Wasteland" section out on the front page? Most of these posts are hilarious.