Where do you buy your RAM in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SpookTheHamster, Sep 24, 2006.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Just as it says in the title, where do UK users buy their RAM? I'm looking for a 1Gb stick for a 17¨ C2D iMac.
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I get mine from Crucial. Regardless of what people say, I don't mind the prices for peace of mind and near-instantaneous delivery. Never a problem...

Besides, the alternatives that are similar are far and few between, especially when you've priced the same RAM up at Micro Anvika. :eek:
  3. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    i'd second that, BV. i've never found crucial's prices extortinate, and the peace of mind that they guarantee the RAM will work is very very important. i've had one or two issues with RAM from other companies, so i'd say crucial every time.
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've bought from Orca Logic in the past. They sell Kingston memory with a lifetime warranty and were cheaper than Crucial. Have also bought Kingston from ebuyer although their service wasn't as good.
  5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Depends if you are looking for quality or price. The corsair value ram comes with a lifetime warranty and is fairly reliable so my choice is that. Otherwise, another vote for Crucial and for Kingston.
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Planet Micro.

I think there's a few of them, there's certainly one in Manchester. Very good, very cheap for everything and works every time. Mostly used by local computer shops but anyone can go in there.

Scan too. They've been quite cheap. 1gb of PowerBook ram was (at the last time I checked) considerably cheaper than Crucial and have an excellent returns policy.
  7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

Aug 1, 2005
    Birmingham, England
    My vote goes to eBuyer.

I bought Kingston ram for my Macbook Pro from them and it arrived quickly. Was cheap and works perfectly.

If I've ever had problems, even when the mistake is on my part, they've been fine about accepting returns.

Planet Micro are based in Manchester but they do have mail order and a website if you particularly want to order from them.
  8. OllyW Moderator

Staff Member

Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    I've used Crucial in the past. Both times I used them, the prices seemed fair and it was no extra cost for next day delivery.

I was looking recently for another gig for my mates Power Mac and they seem a bit steep at the moment. I'm not sure if it's just a temporary blip in the memory market but it was almost double what I paid a year ago.
  9. lightsout macrumors member

Aug 26, 2005
  10. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2005
    I won't buy from Crucial because they have a policy where they look at your cookies to see what kind of a shopper you are, then charge you accordingly. Just out of principal I won't buy from them because of that - I always buy from orcalogic.co.uk
  11. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    I bought my Macbook memory from Scan. Great prices, great service, and good on returns (apparantly).

Another bonuse for me was that I was only a £1.20 train ride away from their warehouse, so I didn't have to pay delivery :)
  12. mrploddy macrumors member

Aug 19, 2006
    Crucials prices for Macbook 13" ram has skyrocketed recently. Instead I picked up 2GB of Samsung original factory ram for £140 from this American seller on ebay. Thought it was a good deal.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

When I first heard of this, one afternoon I tried to replicate it by checking the price of a module using my email PC at work running Internet Explorer, then a couple of hours at home on the Mac using both Safari and Firefox... in all cases, the price was identical. The work Mac isn't web-enabled so I couldn't check that as well...

I'll need more convincing on this matter.
  14. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I thought the Crucial price-changing was only in the US? I dislike the way the same memory module can be two prices depending on whether you go via the price selector or just browse for it... but wouldn't rule out buying for them if the price was good.

So long as the RAM has a lifetime warranty and the store is reputable, I'll go for whichever has the cheapest price.
  15. arcsbite Guest

Jan 14, 2006