where do you buy your RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shecky, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Guest

shecky

well? i know there are a ton of vendors, but where do you go for a good price and a good product?

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors 6502

I never buy memory from anyone but mushkin for my x86 boxes, but their apple sticks are WAY to expensive. Crucial ram is plenty good when coupled with apple's solid chipsets and quality parts.

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

www.buymemory.com

McDonald and Associates.

Try any of these places and see what you get - the prices change daily.

D

6. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

All the RAM I've ever purchased I've bought at Other World Computing (www.macsales.com). They usually have the cheapest prices and offer lifetime warranties on their RAM which I've never had any problems with anyway. Places like Kingston overcharge you 2x for a few more tests they do on each stick of RAM.

7. macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I usually go to www.TransIntl.com . They have a really good memory selector + instructions. Competitive pricing, lifetime warranty, & fast shipping...

8. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I've always used www.macsales.com too. Always been a good product at a good price.

9. macrumors 68000

agreenster

Stupid question, but I've always wondered....is there actually a quality difference between sticks of ram? Do some brands 'perform' better than others? Or is it just whether or not it goes 'bad?'

10. macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I think that it's more what speed the memory is, there's a full explanation on the TransIntl website: here.

Edit: and here.

11. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I believe the highest quality type of RAM for Mac is known as 2-2-2 RAM.

12. macrumors member

Yes, 2-2-2 aka CL2 is faster than CL3 but I'm Not sure How much... and I'd like to Know. My QuickSilver came with PC133 CL3 @ 3/4 Gigabyte, so I bought another CL3 half Gig because i heard the Mac will autodetect and will run the slower speed with one CL3 and many CL2s.