Where do you host your web page?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by adroit, Nov 26, 2005.

1. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I have a webpage that is in my university's server. However, I already used up all my eligible server space and now looking for a new host.

Does anyone have any reccommendation for a reliable and add-free server that is free/not too expensive? Thank you.

2. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Try a small orange, Great up time, fantastico, cheap, list goes on and on

3. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i host mine from the old Powermac in my sig. works really well, although my ISP is a bit limiting in its upload bandwidth

4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I used to use my free webspace I got with my ISP, Pipex, but ran out of space on that so I use my dot mac account now. (Not "cheap" though, but I like it).

Maybe you or one of your relatives has some free webspace going on their ISP account?

My friend owns his own providor company called vault5.com. They're aimed at gamers mainly but they do have at least reasonable rates.

5. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

blogger!

with subsidiary pages on my ISP's server

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

same here!!!

small orange are great

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    a small orange.

great service and nice pricing plans.

8. adroit thread starter macrumors 6502

adroit

Thankyou for all the help.

I actually don't really need a lot of server space since the site is actually quite small. But it would be nice to have one of the higher bandwith since it is a flash site.

I'm looking at a small orange plans right now and it does seems that one of the smaller plan would be suitable for my need.

I'm wondering about hosting it myself too since I do have an old pc and it not being use. However, the internet is split 3 ways between me, my roommate, and the landlord. I'm not sure how that would affect the bandwidth. We're using a regular high-speend internet and according to the website the download speed is "Up to 3.5 Mb". Does anyone know approximately how fast it should be compare to one of the smaller plans from asmallorange (Bandwidth 3BG or 10 GB)?

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hi. I know you asked about web hosting, and that you're probably not done with your site (Looks great BTW), but just in case you didn't know :eek: :

Picture 1.jpg :eek:

10. adroit thread starter macrumors 6502

adroit

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I knew about the text running off. I've changed it in my computer a while ago but the file ended up being a tiny bit bigger than the original one. And this is one of the many reasons I have to get it out of my university server because I filled up my account and it won't even take one more byte :eek:

I guess I could play around with it and reduce the size elsewhere. But I thought it would be easier to just find a new host and do things properly. ;)

Anyone else have any pointers on benefit/problem about running a server at home vs finding someone else to host it?

11. Lertie32 macrumors member

Need a RELIABLE host!

I need a host that is VERY reliable for our corporate site and emails. We are constantly online, using email, and transferring files to/from clients via FTP. We get very cranky and screwed up over any downtime.

PLEASE, let me know some REALLY good reliable host recommendations.

So far, we already mostly used three hosts -

1) Verio - expensive as all hell, good tech support, but they're servers are VERY tightly controlled (and sometimes limiting) due to security. I finally quit using them.

2) iPowerWeb - used to be good, but now their tech support has really gone down the drain, servers seem fairly reliable so I don't have to call them often (luckily). When I do call them though I usually have to talk to a senior supervisor before I can get an useful help.

3) MidPhase - NOT reliable, frequent downtime (despite their guarantee), and they conveniently give you absolutely no server status or uptime/downtime reports. Even though you can get through to their tech support fairly quickly, they usually don't know exactly what they're talking about. Also, they clearly don't back up often because every so often we have a site mysteriously get "restored" to a version two months old.

12. rogerw macrumors 6502