Where do you see Apple in 5 years?

Discussion in 'Community' started by liketom, Jan 26, 2005.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

been looking over the apple history whilst making my little vids and it shows how far apple has come along in the last 5 years , os9 to X and G3 to G5 new ipod's the iTunes music store ... and so on

so where do you think apple will put there money in the next 5 years?
    movie store ? movie ipods , or even a new OS all round whats next for Tiger 10.4 ?? that may last 2-3 years going on Apple upgrades . Hell market share might get out of hand and go above 5% for there computer side .

might be kinda fun to look back in 5 years time and think you got by on that G5 and LCD mini ipod lol

tom

2. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

hmm honestly I can see potentially a new OS and a new processor. It could be a G6 or they could simply create a whole new processor line. Anything is possible right just by how technology is growing so fast.

3. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

Well, I believe that Apple will probably continue to grow for a little while, but with the competition heating up in the online music market, they will loose some of the media hype surrounding them right now.
    I could see their marketshare improving, since a lot of MS users are thinking about a switch. Maybe we'll eventually see them move up to 5% market share.
    OS X is supposed to be the primary system for a couple of years (I read 15 years somewhere, starting from 2000). So, no major architecture change there, I guess.

4. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Out of business.

On an unrelated note, I'm changing my name to Dvorak.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In five years we will probably have a G6. All the other lines will be G5. Some sort of media center/HDTV hookup. iWorks will replace AppeWorks and be competitive with Office.

6. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

would apple make a G6? I remember someone once told me that the G5 was the last of the G family. I could be wrong :-\

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Apple is going to skip the G6 moniker and rate the next one G5+ and then G7. Since a dual core G5 would not seem proper to be called G6 when its only an extension of the G5 processor. If not G7 maybe Gx or something of that nature, it has a nice ring to it. :)

Now where do I see Apple in 5 years, well tough to say since no one can predict where a secretive company such as Apple will do or release with its hardware and software. :)

8. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Apple in Five Years?

I hate to admit it, but I think it depends on Steve Jobs' health.

9. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

*sighs* i understand that things been going so well every since Steve came back. But, don't you think we are a bit too dependant on him to introduce new products? I'm that Apple has learned their lesson from the past. The chances are if they were to get a new CEO it most likely will be someone who can at least do the same qaulity work as Steve or better. Anyways, regardless of who the CEO is I believe that this company will remain strong as it is now or even stronger.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The key for Apple (and other companies) is figuring out what other "lifestyle" devices that integrate with the computer (like the iPod) will be successful in the years to come. I think the iPod doesn't have too much more of a run in its current forms. In the long run (which Apple is working on), I for one would rather carry just one iPhone rather than a cell phone and an iPod. The exercise-friendly shuffle is a keeper though.

Most realistically, I see Apple about where it is now. I don't really think Apple will make great strides in market share, unfortunately. 5% is a realistic dream.

11. jaromski macrumors regular

jaromski

Sometimes the truth hurts. If he hadn't come back, where would Apple be right now?

I can tell you it wouldn't be pretty.

jaromski

12. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I totally agree, without the return (if you'll allow) "second coming" of Jobs, Apple would not be the company it is today, no where close... they would probably be making beige boxes still if Jobs never came back... Lets hope he sticks around for many many years to come, and he's preparing for the future... finding an "heir" of sorts to lead... (No more crazy ceo's like we had in late 80's-early 90's like the evil pepsi guy-John Sculley, or clone thinker Michael Spindler, or the dreaded wolf in sheep's clothing Gil Amelio who didn't meet expectations to save Apple, and did quite the opposite).

Let's also hope they spend more time on computers and less on iPod's... (not likely, I know... but... Lets just hope and pray they don't forget us mac users).

Soley Opinion, and for the record I love my iPod, but I Love my PowerBook and Power Mac LOTS MORE!

-Aldaris
    Dual 1.25 GHz G4|AP|BT|Super+Combo|80+200GB
    Original 20" Cinema Display
    17" 1.5 GHz G4|APE|BT|Super|80GB
    APE Network

13. mpw Guest

I don't see a huge market for a video iPod. I'm sure that the iPod will be able to play short QT files at some point but I think that'll be it.

I think that there will be a iTMS style movie rental service for downloadable movies to replace your high street Blockbuster. There are so many of these services planned I believe they will replace your high street Blockbuster et al and Apple just need to kick off in a blaze of glory in association with iTMS and a lot of media hype.
    I see this working with encrypted files that you'll only access for say 48hrs from your first viewing.

With the movies store in mind I think Apple might produce a home media centre/set top box type product.

EDIT: I think iPod could be spun off into a stand-alone company at some point too. If this were to happen I think it would take iTMS and the movies store with it and compete in the consumer electronics market with hardware and write entertainment media software for Mac and MS Windows.

I also think we'll see Apple enter in to design partnerships with others, like iPod intergration into more and more cars and with Motorola to produce an iPod/smartphone.

14. deral macrumors regular

deral

I'm jealous of your new name.

15. indifference macrumors regular

itunes all over the world, and Apple G10s that have something better than the DVDR drives

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

has anyone else read "Good to Great" by Jim Collins?
    One of the points he makes in his research is that a ceo who is the company dooms his company. In his research, he found that CEOs who knew how to pick the right people to keep the company running and who could walk away and still see the company running the way they envisioned were the most successful CEOs/companies. I think Apple has the right people in the right places, as evidenced by their market successes in the last few years, but as long as steve jobs remains Apple there's a problem. Yea, Steve was easily covered when he became ill, but he remained a strong shadow over everyone. As it stands now, even when he retires he'll still be seen as Apple. And that seems like a bad move for the long term.
    -C

17. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i would see it as when Steve Jobs retires/leaves Apple that Apple will take a new direction and maybe a new aproach.

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i hope so too, but will they be able to do so while weathering constant "steve jobs did this when..."

19. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Taking up a lot more space in my house and pockets than they do now.

20. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Partnerships, Partnerships, Partnership, Partnerships ..... OOOOWWWWEEEEE

Seriously, they will need to partner with sony or tivo or blockbuster or someone to transform the itunes brand into a real mass market content company. Traditional media is not going to move aside without a fight. Could spinning off the ipod/itune store also help with the legal issues with the other apple?

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the computer market will be a small part of Apple's business in 5 years. There aren't too many people out there who need a Dual 7GHz G6.

On the other hand, I think Apple will create a new type of laptop that (somehow) takes advantage of the OLED folding screen technology to its full potential. I don't know what they'll do (I'm not very creative ;) ), but it will be something cool.

They'll also be in the music business with their own label. They'll be better than handling online sales than anyone else, and if online sales are around 50% of total sales in 5-10 years, that'll make Apple a big player.

Then they'll perfect the Tablet PC and make Microsoft look stoooopid. ;)