Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
With the Airs not having large hard drives do you tend to store your iTunes on a seperate drive? If so what do you use?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If I had Air, I would store it in NAS or other computer with file sharing turned own. That way you can access them anywhere in your house and no need for cables

georgee2face

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
If I had Air, I would store it in NAS or other computer with file sharing turned own. That way you can access them anywhere in your house and no need for cables

I built a server for the house. just like this.........and keep ALL our files there

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I keep my main iTunes, Aperture library, video library, etc on my 27" i7 iMac.

I keep my documents etc on the cloud, with local copies synced to all my machines, including my MBA.

I sync 100% of my music to my 160GB iPod, I keep a relatively small playlist of about ~1500 songs to other devices such as my iPad.

I keep the original copies of my pictures in Aperture, but I make themed photo albums within Aperture, and I sync those to my various devices.

/Jim

kizaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
New York
I wish you could sync your iTunes library to mobileme like you can with your iPhoto or Aperture library. That would be perfect.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I tried an NAS, but I found that connecting to iTunes was unreliable over wireless. I keep all my content on my 27 inch iMac, and copy it locally as I watch it. If I do stream it across the network, it's my experience that it's much better coming from a shared iTunes library than a NAS.

I should also say, I've messed with this problem A LOT. I'm a marathoner, and spend at least an hour a day running. In the winter in Boston, that's at least 7 hours a week watching ITMS content. I've pulled my hair out on occasions at the unpredicability of changing your iTunes library to a NAS.

Bri

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I use my Mac Pro for storing my iTunes library! Seriously.

You can use a NAS but it is slow. I used to do that but I switched to storing the iTunes library locally.

jk1002

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
Interesting, I had NAS problems as well and gave up on that.

I think it constantly tries to read the files or something. I had only few movies on the NAS at some point and even that caused trouble.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
I store it on my linux server raid5 with an afp share. Oh and it has a windows virtual machine in case I need the dvd sharing for a reinstall or something.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Interesting, I had NAS problems as well and gave up on that.

I think it constantly tries to read the files or something. I had only few movies on the NAS at some point and even that caused trouble.

If you have a NAS, make sure you're accessing it via AFP. There are minor but annoying incompatibilities between SMB and Mac's native file format.

Another thought is to put your iTunes library into a Sparse Bundle. I did this for iPhoto and it works surprisingly well. Much better than when I simply shared the iPhoto library.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I tried an NAS, but I found that connecting to iTunes was unreliable over wireless. I keep all my content on my 27 inch iMac, and copy it locally as I watch it. If I do stream it across the network, it's my experience that it's much better coming from a shared iTunes library than a NAS.
My iTunes library, which I keep on my MBP, contains alias files for the real movie files, which are stored on a network drive. I discovered the hard way that I simply could not reliably stream those files to my Apple TV from my MBP. I solved it by syncing all of them to the Apple TVs own hard drive where they playback perfectly. Anyway, having the physical file(s) you intend to watch stored on the same device that is to replay them seems to be a necessity, in my setup at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.