Where does App Store store its downloads?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by desertman, Sep 6, 2012.

1. desertman, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

macrumors 6502

Where does App Store store its downloads?

I downloaded the full version of OS X 10.8 (almost 5 GB) through App Store and would like to keep this file. But where on my hard disk do I find it?

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. macrumors 601

talmy

Assuming you mean the the Mac App Store, it goes into /Applications and is named "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" But once you have executed it to do the install the application will be deleted automatically. You need to save the application before doing the install or you need to download it again.

4. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it deletes itself after you go through the install process

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

You are right. I did it with App Store, just used the wrong terms here first. Corrected that now. Thanks.

Still would like to know where the App Store downloads get stored.

6. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

applications folder

7. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

And you were told: Applications. No special hidden folder or anything. If you've already done the installation, however, it gets deleted. If you wanted to save it, you have to move or copy it before you install.

jW

8. macrumors 65816

That's funny I've installed 10.8 on my external drive and sd card and the icon never disappeared.

9. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thats why people suggest to move it if you want to keep it its deletes if you install OSX on the same partition that install file is on

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded it throughout the night onto my iMac that came already with OS X 10.8. This morning I found a window "Install OS X - To set up the installation of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, click Continue." open on my desktop but I did not install anything; this window is still open now.

However, I do not find any downloaded OS X 10.8 file in Applications. And, strangely enough, in App Store under Purchases the item "OS X Mountain Lion" has again a dark grey Download button.

I guess this did not work as anticipated and Big Brother has deleted the file already ...

11. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no you need to quit that window that says continue than it will be in your applications folder

no big brother tricks

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Did not work. I quit and no installer file showed up, also not as invisible file. There is nothing that big with "Install" in its name on my hard drive.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

With the second try it worked. "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" showed up in Applications right after the download was finished and before I did anything else with App Store or the installation window.