Where does "Archive" email go?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jgayman, Dec 2, 2010.

1. macrumors member

I just updated my iPad to 4.2. I use Gmail for email. I noticed at the top of the email screen is an icon that when selected brings up a big red "Archive" button. Pressing this button sends the current email message "somewhere". Does anyone know where it goes? I do not have an email folder named Archive and even logging into Gmail from my PC I do not see an option for me to display an Archive folder.

Anyone have the scoop on this?

2. macrumors 68000

ngenerator

All Mail. You can deselect archive in the email settings

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will check again in All Mail. But when I go to "settings" in Gmail, Archive is not listed as a label I can turn on or off. In fact, the Archive label is not showing up at all. :(

4. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's an "Archive Messages" slider the in settings for your account on your iPhone.

5. macrumors 6502

Essentially the Archive is All Mail.

From Google:
    If you don't see All Mail along the left side of your Gmail page, go to the Labels tab in Settings, then click the show link next to the All Mail label.

I used GMail for a few years before I figured this out, I always just searched for old mail that I had archived.

6. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Google keeps it for their/your best interest :cool:

7. macrumors 6502

Well, technically they "keep" it even if you delete it. :)