Where Does OSX Store Browser Bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamIchi, Jun 7, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I recently changed computers and backed everything from my old to an external. Now I'm tryin to find the bookmarks I had on my past browser (shirra). I don't really know where to look, it has to be stored somewhere right?

Another question, since I made my extarnal a bootable copy of my old computer, can't I just open the browser and find all the bookmarks still there? I tried to start up Shirra, but it won't start. Was it because I ran it on 10.3.9, and now I have 10.4?

If I can't get my bookmarks that way, can I somehow boot my extranal through my Macbook? Would it be like using my old computer?

Sorry for all the question, but I don't know much about this stuff.

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I'm not on my mac right now, but my guess is your bookmarks are stored somewhere in your ~Library folder.

Did you create the external bootable drive from the macbook? If you created it from a PowerPC mac, it will be unusably formatted as 'Apple Partition Map' instead of 'GUID'. An intel mac won't boot up from an external drive formatted with APM, without some serious tinkering discussed in another threat about Tiger being universal itself (I'm too lazy to find the thread). You won't be able to boot your macbook from a bootable external drive created from a PowerPC version of OS X. Both intel and PPC OS X can read APM formatted partitions, though.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've been lookin all day, everywhere, including the library. I can't find anything.

Yea my last mac was a PPC, that makes sense. Hmmm, I gotta figure this out.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
    ~/Library/Shiira/Bookmarks.plist