Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I love my galaxy s2 but there are some parts of ios I love. I have an iPad and love iCloud, and the massive amount of apps available on the app store.

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
I'll have to take your word for it since I haven't used Fruity Loops or any other trackers in about 10+ years. As you said, the problem is fixed with the newest revision of the OS.

The audio latency problem with Google's Android OS is far from fixed. ICS finally addresses it, but of course doesn't go far enough and really is a joke. Google it.

I am not here to bash Google's Android Linux. I am sorry if you think so. I only am responding to the poster's question of where does iPhone rank compared to other phones. I've expressed why I choose iOS over Google's crippled Android Linux OS. I have a right to choose and the freedom to do so. I am sorry that upsets you.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The audio latency problem with Google's Android OS is far from fixed. ICS finally addresses it, but of course doesn't go far enough and really is a joke. Google it.

I am not here to bash Google's Android Linux. I am sorry if you think so. I only am responding to the poster's question of where does iPhone rank compared to other phones. I've expressed why I choose iOS over Google's crippled Android Linux OS. I have a right to choose and the freedom to do so. I am sorry that upsets you.

Exactly.

Very few of Android users are on ICS. Adoption is in the single digit due to manufacturer not updating Android phones.

Most iOS users are already on iOS 5 (100+ million iCloud accounts)

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
Exactly.

Very few of Android users are on ICS. Adoption is in the single digit due to manufacturer not updating Android phones.

Most iOS users are already on iOS 5 (100+ million iCloud accounts)

The audio latency problem doesn't affect any version of iOS like it does every version of Google's Android OS and it is not user fixable.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know where people think their iphone ranks against the competition. No I'm not talking about sales, I mean how do you think it holds up against other smartphones? Also, if you have a 4S what do you think makes it better than the iPhone 4 (real world examples, not generic statements like the gpu is faster and it has a faster processor)?

As someone that has owned both the 4 and 4S, I will say there isn't much real world difference between the two. Of course the 4s has Siri and will get turn but turn and 3d maps, but that's because of Apple holding back updates, not a difference in the phone.
As for where it ranks, in today's landscape say the 4S may still be top 5.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
That is a loaded question that really has no one answer. Every person has a different reason why they like a particular device. Why I like a device may not be the reason you like a device. On paper tons of phones have better specs yet I feel paper specs mean absolutely nothing. What good is a 4 core processor with a billion gigs of ram if the OS doesn't run smoothly or batter life is total crap?

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
That is a loaded question that really has no one answer. Every person has a different reason why they like a particular device. Why I like a device may not be the reason you like a device. On paper tons of phones have better specs yet I feel paper specs mean absolutely nothing. What good is a 4 core processor with a billion gigs of ram if the OS doesn't run smoothly or batter life is total crap?

While I agree it's a tough question to answer, I don't think the OP asked a loaded question. I think it's actually a legitimate question. I think you could argue the 4S is still in the top 5, but at the same time, I think you can also make the argument that it isn't in the top 5. Just being objective, I'd say the One X, GS3, and the GNex are clearly ahead of it. From there, I think you can make an argument either way regarding some other phones like the GS2, RAZR Maxx, and some others.

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
I think the real question should be how do other phones rate against the iPhone.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I'll chime in on this one. I upgraded to the 4s when it was released (came from HTC Droid Incredible). My wife has iPhone4, we got our son an iPod Touch so he could iMessage us if he needed something. 18 other family members and most of my closest friends all had iPhone 4 or 4s. So I left my rooted DInc for the 4s and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised. The OS was smooth and was actually very pretty to look at. It's a gorgeous device. In March of this year I started getting the itch for something different. So I traded my 4s for the HTC Rezound. I installed the latest leak of ICS and the phone is pretty awesome. It does still have a couple issues I thought would have been fixed by now but that's the way it goes. Camera is amazingly clear, 4G is blazing, and the display is rather good as well. Being on Gingerbread and upgrading to ICS made a dramatic difference in the performance (I assume because the phone is now utilizing its dual core processor) and very very little lag.

All that being said, I will be honest I do miss my iPhone. Each have their pros and cons and to me personally the ability to drag and drop on my phones external SD card is a huge advantage and one of the reasons I went back to Android. It saves me from carrying a flash drive with me. However, if the iPhone gets LTE and a couple other features I keep hearing about I may go back to iOS once the i5 drops.

There is no way to compare Android and iOS to be honest. Like comparing Ford and Chevy, they each have their own little features we all like. Now if we could take a Cummins put it in a Ford SuperDuty and stick an Allison transmission in it that would be a vehicle I would purchase tomorrow. If I could get features of iOS, Android, and Windows all in the same phone we would have not competition and that is what makes the world go round.

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
While I agree that being able to drag and drop was a nice idea, I found it cumbersome. I also found having to search for saved documents a real pain, "God, I know I just saved that file, where is it?" Then I find out it the file isn't natively supported, though some apps work with it, so I have to keep digging for the file. I find iOS much less hassle in that regard. To each, their own.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
While I agree that being able to drag and drop was a nice idea, I found it cumbersome. I also found having to search for saved documents a real pain, "God, I know I just saved that file, where is it?" Then I find out it the file isn't natively supported, though some apps work with it, so I have to keep digging for the file. I find iOS much less hassle in that regard. To each, their own.

Much less hassle in that you can't do it? I don't quite understand that rationale. I can't see how not having a feature is less hassle than having the OPTION of using a feature. If you don't want to use a feature, nobody is forcing you to. On the other hand, for many people, drag and drop is much easier than syncing just to put 1 or 2 files on your phone. I think iOS definitely needs to add that capability to their OS. Drag and drop is one of those things that is very simple and small, but adds that little bit of extra value/convenience that makes life just a little bit easier. It isn't a necessity per se, but it is nice to have.

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
Drag and Drop?

Huh? What do you mean you can't do it?

I have apps that use drag and drop and cut and paste, etc. In fact. I am not even talking about drag and drop! I am talking about how files that are natively unsupported never seem to work right and wouldn't show up when searching, or were a hassle to find and use. I didn't want to root and play the find a ROM flash that works game. I wanted to use my phone. I kept getting the advice, "just root it!"

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I am sorry I made one little slight disagreement. I am sorry ithat I brought up a very real issue to me of file management. It wasn't directed directly at you, what is your problem?

Oh, what's the point of having features? So you can use them. Maybe you shouldn't say you can't unless you know for certain that you can't

iOS doen't work like a empty USB flash card in that one can dump a mess of all their files in one big jumble. It is more like highly organized user file management. I can share files across apps too.

Last edited:

rhianlopez

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
rank the iphone

practically the iphone ranks just behind most android phone, honestly. But if you will rank it based on popularity, it is just behind the samsung galaxy S3. Iphone is just popular because its apple with features other mobilephones did not yet have. I would say it's the first smartphone that attracted the consumers but that was before. Today, it's no longer the best as it failed to compete with top android smartphones, most especially that apple is too secure when it comes to third party applications and phone alterations. it is too protective of iphone that it forgot that there's a market to compete with. Check this on which phone is really the best, disregarding the brandname and taking into consideration performance http://www.techyv.com/questions/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
practically the iphone ranks just behind most android phone, honestly. But if you will rank it based on popularity, it is just behind the samsung galaxy S3. Iphone is just popular because its apple with features other mobilephones did not yet have. I would say it's the first smartphone that attracted the consumers but that was before. Today, it's no longer the best as it failed to compete with top android smartphones, most especially that apple is too secure when it comes to third party applications and phone alterations. it is too protective of iphone that it forgot that there's a market to compete with. Check this on which phone is really the best, disregarding the brandname and taking into consideration performance http://www.techyv.com/questions/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone

all of that is very subjective. Owning both a 4s and the galaxy nexus, I appreciate the iphone much much more. The nexus is good and fast with JB, but still not on par with the iphone b.c the things that matter most (texting, email, web surfing) still work best on the iphone. The area the nexus wins is google now and slightly better customization. Sparrow will make google's email client better.

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
Lets not forget UI lag.

Everyone Android user I know would exclaim how smooth Androids have become, since they use a way faster processor than an an iPhone. That Android is just as good.

Then google acknowledges the problem and introduces Project Butter. OMG!

All I want is a phone I don't have to constantly install managers for -battery, file, download, music, memory, etc. Is that too much to ask? I don't want to have to tinker my phone experience away, only to be told it will be better with the next OS coming out in a few minutes, that I find out, I'd have to upgrade my phone to get. I am not an infinite source of money and free time devoted to tinkering.

Sorry everyone for the rant. Thank you.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I have purchased an iPhone but no it doesn't rank #1 with me (for several reasons). What made me ask this is because my uncle challenged me to use a 4S as my phone for a week (he loves his iphone). So I bought a 4S used it for a week as agreed, and promptly went back to my Galaxy Nexus. Anyway, I'm not really trying to turn this into that type of argument though. All in all, he was surprised that after the week ended I went back to my phone instead of keeping the 4S. So after having an interesting discussion with him about it, it made me wonder how other people viewed their iPhone and how the feel it stacks up against the competition. I've found that people's perspectives and reasoning are very interesting when it comes to this (not counting the generic "it just works" statements and other statements of that ilk).

Ok, so you want us to rank the phone against the literally thousands of other phone models out there without using hardware, anecdotal real life situations, or ease of use? Well...it looks better? I mean, there's not a lot of room for conversation here.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Lets not forget UI lag.

Everyone Android user I know would exclaim how smooth Androids have become, since they use a way faster processor than an an iPhone. That Android is just as good.

All I want is a phone I don't have to constantly install managers for -battery, file, download, music, memory, etc. Is that too much to ask? I don't want to have to tinker my phone experience away, only to be told it will be better with the next OS coming out in a few minutes, that I find out, I'd have to upgrade my phone to get. I am not an infinite source of money and free time devoted to tinkering.

Now phones are smart, so you can do many more things on top of phoning which is now an anecdote. That s probably the reason why former race was to get a phone as small as possible while features were only texting and phoning whereas now the larger the better because it can ease more usages and please more possible clients.
In this move your phone has become a computer with a light OS, but still...
So old wars are out with various landscape, you can go to MAC OS X or linux or MSFT for your laptop the same way you can now choose iOS, ICS or Windows8 for your phone...
If you want something pretty with good design, low level of customization and limited CPU go for a mac book or iphone, if you want to have more custo, more power and more line up choice go the other way.
One more comment is that going for AAPL computers means limited software choice/portability whereas iphone enjoys best library available for mobiles.
That should change with dilution of market shares over time IF Android platform can fix all these issues of versioning...

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
One more comment is that going for AAPL computers means limited software choice/portability whereas iphone enjoys best library available for mobiles.
That should change with dilution of market shares over time IF Android platform can fix all these issues of versioning...

Ok, I am very big into the free source software community. I use Ubuntu Linux on my computers, even my old PPC iBook. I can install Gnash, which is free source, instead of the commercial Flash software. Gnash is not available for Android OS, even though Android OS is supposedly Linux. I can't even install Debian packages. Lest you forget that all OSs are limited. I can't install the screen saver I love from Windows on my Google Chrome net book. Whoops, walled in garden. All OSs are walled in gardens. All sentences have structure. Get the point? The operator of the vessel needs to decide for themselves what is best for them. It has really little to do with the perception that Android offers more customization.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Lets not forget UI lag.

Sorry, but this argument is really invalid.

My 4S isn't ALWAYS silky smooth and apps DO crash. Many other quirks I have issues with as well, but whatever. And anytime I have to use a 4, it's really painfully slow.

Over time, all phones become slower and slower. I suppose doing a clean swipe and starting fresh would make the phone feel faster, but that defeats the purpose of the phone in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.