Where does you avatar come from? (Sorry, if you aren't in)

Discussion in 'Community' started by AmigoMac, May 3, 2005.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

As some MR Members started before the "User name mean" thread & the "whose avatar do you stop for" thread, I wanted to get this running through the members with avatar and let the guys and gals explain what took each one to choose that 'tar for MR.

-Edesignuk & iGary ... :rolleyes: 'nuff said. :)

Me: I could say that I look pretty the same, with my cap, glasses and ear-buds ...

and you?

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Same here :D I'm taking my toaster EVERYWHERE ;) Saves me from putting up a pic in the picture thread. :p

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice, AmigoMac! My original avatar was the Om, kind of stylized. This is my second (not counting that I was a Pirate Kacheek for April Fools day :)). It's a stylized picture of a tombstone in Rome, based on a photo I found somewhere on the internet. The tomb has a normal squarish block with the usual adornment, but then it has an angel hunched over it, weeping. But its a little hard to see in icon size, so I might work on something new. Otherwise, this is sort of my sigil elsewhere, and I could always start using it here:

[​IMG]

But basically I'm looking for a mixture of the extremes of hope and sorrow. :)

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I like iPod mini - I have a pink one... and I love LOVE Starbucks. Doctor Q made this for me and won the contest.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My current one is just a crop/fix of an image I think I got in a mail a long time ago, that I liked good enough to save, but have no idea where it came from...

Attached Files:

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    mine comes from a picture i took during the christmas/new years break 2003/2004

it was in boracay island philippines in cocomangas bar the night i did the 15 shooter challenge :) good times

8. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Then, I can assume we can recognize each other easily ...
    Look carefully, I can get you first.
    Nice to see you again around!

9. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Mine's from the movie Amélie. Though I'll probably eventually change it to something rally related.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've always been fond of that photo, Virividox! :)

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Mine, like my original 'tar, is a photo of Marilyn Manson, who is IMHO one of the more interesting and "colorful" folks on the planet these days. Also a big fan of their/his music - not too deep but not "ooh baby let's get naked" drivel, either. This particular image is from the cover of his book The Long Hard Road Out of Hell.

I've also tried a few other avatars: Jennnifer Garner (thanks again, edesignuk!), Porcupine Tree (album cover of Signify), a RoboRaptor, and a pirate-ized skull for April Fool's Day '05.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I gotta say, since you're one of the people I quickly associate by avatar, that although I am not really a Marilyn Manson fan, I really feel the themes of anguish and alienation mixed with a desire to be recognized / praised in his / their music. Even in some of the poppier songs like Beautiful People.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mine comes from that little XP thingy some mental asylum patient released on the world a few years ago.

I posted in the user name thread that my 'tar's pretty much based on the fact you'd have to be a little cheap and crazy to use Windows. ;)

BTW, I'm glad to see you've reached 'tard status 840quadra, you've been a very helpful member so far, which is more than I can say for myself. :( Keep up the cool posts.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Mine is a series of photos of me when my hair started falling out from cancer.

Hair is back, cancer's gone.

15. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine is me doing a somersault on a trampoline while wearing a kilt - and yes, I was drunk at the time... :rolleyes:

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't feel you have to change it. I really like yours at the moment. I've never fully worked out what exactly it was but it's still always fascinated me. There's something really intriguingly beautiful about it. Of course, on the other hand, I'd love to see what you come up with. I love the 'tars with a bit of thought behind them.

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Congrats!

I love your way of celebrating your victory!!

Thanks, I was hesitant on posting up an avatar, but I will see how this goes. If people complain, I will go without. On an other note, I find your posts helpful, and I don't think mine are any better then yours :D

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My current one is from some pics I took with my Canon 20D of a inflatable thing in front of a store in down town Warsaw that was having a give away...

D

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Dunno if this attaching stuff will work, but it's the resident of our garden pond (along with a very grumpy terrapin): bugger! didn't work at all. :mad:
    Haven't quite got the hang of this...but it's much better bigger :(

I have searched the Forums, but I'm none the wiser on how to link to a hosted image and do the thumbnail thingy. Any advice gladly accepted. :eek:

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At least you've got the link thing sussed, which is more than I have. Can I link to an image in the Public folder of my iDisk? And if so, how? Makes me feel barely computer-literate...
    :confused:

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Dentarthurdent (Martin Freeman) from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'll probably be changing this soon, though.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow