Where has all the money gone?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by crap freakboy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Is this news being reported in the States? Its shocking that they are getting away with this, makes me quite angry actually. If I was an American citizen then this quote would worry me more than anything 'if Halliburton was being allowed to rip off the Iraqi people, was the Bush administration allowing it to milk the US government as well?'
    One day I hope that the paper trail leads to the right people and justice sees them put behind bars.

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

News like that does not get reported by any major news source in the US. Only "fringe liberal" media has reports like these. As a whole most Americans don't discuss such fiscal and moral problems - they would rather hide their heads in the sand and continue with the status quo. Americans have better things to worry about - like whether Brad and Angelina are "hooked up." Sad but true - we have become a fat, lazy, greedy, stupid, bottom of the barrel culture where critical thinking skills are frowned upon. Oops - gotta run... the next episode of The Simple Life just started.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its been reported on. Not significantly because its old news. Most of the money goes to company commanders to spend on how they see fit. Paying for incidental damage in fire fights. Paying locals to build/rebuild mosques, work on construction etc.

4. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I find some of these figures and claims dubious. The idea that the U.S. isn't paying for Iraqi reconstruction is laughable. We're paying billions because the oil money is disappearing into the pockets of Iraqi cronies. The claim that by last September the Pentagon had spent $60 billion on Iraq is ridiculously low. These days it's accepted that we're spending at least $4 billion a month there. (Money we don't have, by the way. All borrowed.)

As for Halliburton, these improprieties have been reported on already. Only the most rabid pro-Bush person doesn't think that his friends aren't profiting. We're also paying insane sums for privately contracted soldiers to replace soldiers who retired from the service because of low pay.

As for why Americans aren't angrier? Mostly because of smokescreens and lame distractions like flag-burning amendments, a brain-dead woman who symbolizes the fanaticism of idiots, exploitative stories about pretty white girls getting kidnapped, etc.

5. crap freakboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

:eek:
    I only asked.

Attached Files:

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Maybe you just need a better peer group? Most people I know are at least somewhat aware of world news. True, many people havent the slightest idea whats going on in the world beyond celebrity gossip and reality tv shows, but dont you think its at least a little naive to paint all "Americans" with the same brush? And besides, I'm willing to bet that your average Brit, Italian, Sweed, etc. isnt totally up to speed on every single detail that goes on in their country or within their government. I'm sorry you are so disgusted with the country you live in...

7. martin1000 macrumors regular

Halliburton is getting away with it because our VP Cheney used to be the head of the company.

Sickening.