Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
In iOS 9, in Safari, I could press and hold on an image and choose Save Image. This would put it into my photo library. I installed 10 today and that option is no longer present. There's a "Share" menu, where I can save to iCloud, but that's overkill when I just want to make a local copy of an image.

Is there some way to bring this option back?

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Weird, works for me as you described (long press and save), and as it has for quite some time. Just tried it with Google's image search on some random photo.

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
London
In iOS 9, in Safari, I could press and hold on an image and choose Save Image. This would put it into my photo library. I installed 10 today and that option is no longer present. There's a "Share" menu, where I can save to iCloud, but that's overkill when I just want to make a local copy of an image.

Is there some way to bring this option back?
I think your effectively only looking at the thumb nails, if you click to open the picture and then you'll get the save option.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I noticed this too in iOS 10. On some sites it still works but with others you have to now open in a new tab and then you can save the image. It's pretty stupid.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Still there for me, can you give an example of the webpage/image your trying to save?
Anything on 9gag.com, for example. This definitely worked in 9 via
click-and-hold. I also don't get the Save option if I hold on an avatar here on MR, but I never tried that under 9.

In both cases opening a new window doesn't seem to help.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anything on 9gag.com, for example. This definitely worked in 9 via
click-and-hold. I also don't get the Save option if I hold on an avatar here on MR, but I never tried that under 9.

In both cases opening a new window doesn't seem to help.
Is this using Safari? Any content blockers involved?

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Safari, without content blocking.

I need to revise my previous post: It's not everything on 9gag after all. Static images have lost the Save option, but the preview frames of vidoes are still saveable. Weird...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.