Where have all the Rumors gone?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by blackpeter, Jun 24, 2002.

1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    What happened to the golden age of Apple rumors? We used to debate about what the new mystery digital device would be. We had fun iWalk video clips to argue over. We even had Apple hyping us with cryptic messages as we neared MacWorld SF.

Now what do we have to get all excited about? DDR RAM? A speed bump? Speed is nice. But unless Apple unveils a 2G G4, I can't see myself getting all worked up over speed.

I'm wondering if MWNY will bring us something none of us even expected.
  2. A@ron macrumors member

May 2, 2002

Ah yes where have they all gone? Well here are some that come to mind.

1) the xPDA (spymac material) I have two video clips one of a boot and running terminal.app and another of calculator and such. They are fun to look at and I have no clue how they were done.

2) New case enclosure?

3) To G5 or not to G5 that is the question.

4) DDR-Ram, the hack or the real thing?

5) Larger cache for use with apples new pro design applications.

6) The IBM vs. MOT conspiracy.

7) The dark side iPod.

8) Apple's insider trading and impending doom. Why do people always think Apple is going anywhere?

Thats all I can come up with for now

3. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Gone but not forgotten

There not gone, they have been used up!

We G5ed and iWalked the hell outs the threads!

I cant stand another "If the G5 doesnt come out I am gonna walk" thread.

There does seem to be a lack of actually threads related to actual rumors with some reasoning behind them.

Is that what your talking about?

Maybe APPLE IS KEEPING a really tight lid on the whole thing!

So that another iMAc leak doesnt happen.
    Maybe something really huge is coming out.
  4. spuncan macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2001
    Ugh stupid stupid song "Where have all the CowBoys Gone" Gah. K on to the post :rolleyes: Well first SJ fired or gave "Unrefusable Offers" to most the leaks which got rid of all but a few people that had actual facts about the coming events, and the ones left only give vauge discription to save themselves. Secondly many of the 1yr.+ members of this site have disapeared leaving only newbs and a handful of older members to speculate on things. Many of this sites members have also lost interest in the rumors and moved to the general or private forums. Other sites (SpyMac) have destroyed the rumors by creating a mass wave of lunatic assumptions that cause people to loose interest after the rumors don't pan out. The MWSF buzz disappointed many users because of the Time Canada leak and no new PowerMacs and once they were released they were half assed. MWNY has never been as "major" an event as MWSF as for releases (prove me wrong Apple) and this one is suspected to be much like the last one (Once again prove me wrong Apple). The G5 is almost definitly not being realeased for another 6 months (For the last time prove me wrong Apple).
    So what can we expect for this hopefully under-rated MWNY.
    - New PowerMac (DDR-Ram, Hyper Transport, 1.0-1.4ghz duals, PCI-X)
    - New iMac (Colors, Update to the currrent or right below current G4 Tower)
    - 10.2 preview for late August Ship
    - New iApps/ PowerApps. (MixerPro, iChat, Quicktime 6 full)
    - New iProduct?¿ (Camera, iWalk :) :D ;) :rolleyes: :) :D ;) :rolleyes: )

Who To Blame (Hey it's human nature :d )
    - Us
    - Apple
    - The Almighty (Hey even SJ has his flaws :d)
    - And Most of all SpyMac :mad:
  5. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    iBall it video records and internets your web site. oh and you can roll it too.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The only Big mac rumor I know of (or care about), is that it'll most likely be offered at 2 for $2.00 or for 99 cents before the end of the year.

But there are additional rumors that it's a lot more satisfying when consumed with frys and a coke.
  7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    i think alot of us are tired of the huge ridiculous rumor buildup before macworlds, so we have kinda held back as it gets closer as a whiplash effect. there were some RIDICULOUS rumors about MWSF and it just snowballed, and everyone was disappointed. i mean, we can't expect Apple to change the world at a trade show.
  8. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    And besides the aliens from Alpha Centauri have not showed up to give Steve Jobs a prototype G56 :D j/k :D

I'm not expecting much at this expo. Is anyone??
  9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'll tell you what happened....

We have too many big shot posters. They always say no more G5 or crap like that.

Its liek the MacRumors police around here...
  10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    Re: I'll tell you what happened....

hmm...I don't care about the G5 so much...

but that damned PDA...:rolleyes:
  11. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    where did all the rumors go?

one word-

oh, and its not like there's a lot happening right now anyways
  12. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    Re: Where have all the Rumors gone?

We may have to move to a new site, MacFacts
  13. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    To tell you the truth, even when there was a barrage of rumors, 99% of them were unfounded.

I really don't even browse this site anymore for rumor information, just current mac news. (and of course the good company)

The only things I believe are what surfaces a day or two before an event. Usually there is some leak because the product leaves Apple's hands and has to be shipped to the event, and that's where the security is breached. Apple HQ has some of the tightest security I've ever heard of. My CompUSA Apple Solutions Consultant was telling me how you need key cards to access EVERY door in the compound except the bathrooms (basically). Absolutely everyone is on a need-to-know basis, with bigwigs like Jonathan Ives only knowing what he needs to about a machine to design the casing for it. I have a feeling that from here on out...there won't be very many exciting rumors coming from Apple. We can only use info from other manufacturers to speculate. (1394b, LCD manufacturers, etc...)

All we can do is speculate based on Apple's past moves. Did anyone yet realize that the eMac uses PC 133 ram? That insteresting fact makes it pretty obvious that then next revision of the iMac should have the same...but when is the key. I think that MWNY is too soon, so maybe an event between now and MWSF?

The xServe uses DDR-RAM, and I find it hard to believe that the next gen Powermacs won't use the same.

So there you go...not really rumors, just using high school history lessons to speculate on the future.

14. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    :D Aliens I tell you!! And shady men in black suits!! :D j/k

In all honesty though, I did not notice that. Very nice observation.
  15. Ouroboros macrumors member

Jan 30, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Well for me, the last New York shindig was a total letdown. Then that mess that Apple got itself into, actually talking about the rumor sites on their homepage. People went so nuts over that, it was totally silly. And then it was the iMac. I love that thing, but slowly everyone is learning what Apple thinks is amazing is maybe a little different then some of us on here.

I get the feeling that it simply is just going to be another incremental thing. There might be a surprise, but you know... I think Steve is going to go on and on about Jaguar, since nobody outside the hardcore community knows a damn thing about it.

Getting back, I think people are just getting tired of it all. Yeah it seems like some of the trusted "sources" are gone. Whatever who knows. There is really nothing credible to chew on. Nothing. As someone said, wait till the day before Steve gives his keynote, and maybe something will surface. What bugs me is that Apple seems to be so tight on the security and all, but why bother now if these amazing products are just case redesigns and speedbumps? We all like Apple, and part of the reason is because they CAN be very exciting. So let's hope for some excitement *yay*
  16. joed macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2002
    Budapest, Hungary
    Been reading all the rumor sites for a year or 2 now and well, people seem to be a little more realistic this time around - except for those few that like to speculate PDA's and G5's (not that there's anything wrong with that, all in good fun).

It also seems likely that Firewire 2 will make an appearence this MWNY. All the indicator point to it. Speaking of which the IEEE1394 Developers conference is on this week if anyone if interested.

I'm doubting a new iDevice, perhaps new mouses or keyboards but no iCamera or iPDA thing - IMO anyway.

I think we will see iApp updates when we see Jaguar (Apple are now gaining feedback on iTunes - see Apple discussions).

However, I'm still looking forward to the web cast!