Where have the UT2004 players gone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by oingoboingo, Jan 20, 2005.

1. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    After a 3-4 month hiatus from playing Unreal Tournament 2004 (did a few things in the meantime, like getting married), I logged back on last night for a quick fix of Onslaught. However, I was a little disappointed to see most of the previously busy game servers now empty. At least on the local Australian servers, most of them seemed to just be hosting the demo maps. Has everyone out there in online gaming land abandoned UT2004 for HalfLife 2 and WoW?

Looks like I might need to go back to playing Desert Storm II on the Xbox in "fold-out camping chairs gathered around the TV with friends and a case of beers" mode if the masses have deserted UT2004.
  2. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    Most that I know of have travelled back in time to 1999 to play the original UT. Funny really, I am more excited about the new OS X version of UT than I was about UT2k4. Sad to say, UT2k4 just sits on the shelf.
  3. socamx macrumors 6502

Oct 7, 2004
    People going back to the roots of UT is pretty much dead on.

A lot of the people that I know that only had 2k4 and the played UT, admit that they like UT much better than 2k4.

I must also agree that this upcoming patch has me on the edge of my seat (not literally) because if its good enough I'll start playing UT again (Anything is better than the current preview 3 hack-job we have, but I digress...).

2k4 is dying out a bit though, which is sad because it is a very solid online game, but is a far cry of what the original UT was...
  4. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    maybe make sure that you're updated to the latest version? i've had no problems finding servers... though i play mostly at LAN parties.
  5. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I remembering there being something about the UT2K4 master server being updated. Maybe that has something to do with it?

But, I wouldn't be surprised if people got sucked into some other games. :)
  6. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    Yeah, like World of Warcrack (er, craft) for me. ;)
  7. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Well... some of the Ut2k4 players are Here :D

Check out the server once in a while, most of the time its always a bunch of crazy mac users ready for some fragging!
  8. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    Sometimes the old games are better

Been playing UT2k4 on a pc, must say game lacks holding power. The visuals are awesome, but get in the way of good fraggin' which is what UT is all about. The weapons are weak, too much on colorful rounds coming out of the barel and not enough stopping power. Vehicles, if I wanted to drive I would play a driving game. Thats what happens when corporations take over a good solid game. You can't hide poor gameing in a maze of eye candy.
  9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Maybe they are waiting for Unreal Tournament 2005? :p

I don't know anything much about the UT series, so don't kill me if there isn't going to be a 2005 version or something.
  10. G5guy macrumors member

Aug 20, 2004
    Well, if my experience is typical, they are now playing WoW and can't pull themselves from playing the game! I used to play BF1942 all the time but this rediculously addictive game has taken every bit of my free time. There is nothing like surviving a long battle with a 5 level higher NPC and getting that rare item dropped or defeating an enemy player raid (or winning your own).
  11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2003
    Connecticut, United States of America

How did I know this was coming? He just couldn't help himself. Hah. :p
    Team G5 leadership always looking for more crazy mac women in the clan, so you won't qualify Oingo ;) Hehe
  12. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2003
    NYC, Astoria-Queens
    Your main problem may be an Aussie thing. What's your ping like on a US server? Or maybe you just need to find some new servers or maybe a clan. Check out http://www.vehiclectf.com it's getting more popular and they post clans and servers to play on. If any of you haven't played vehicle CTF then I highly recommend checking it out. Not as crazy as deathmatch but just as strategic as onslaught. I just wish there was more offical support for it.
  13. oingoboingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I could play on US-based servers I suppose. The pings are upwards of 150...mostly 200 and above. I'm getting pings of around 50 for Australian servers. Even taking US servers into account though, there generally seems to be fewer ONS servers active. I think I'm going to sell my copy of UT2004 on eBay soon anyway.