Where have you been during a Firedrill?

Discussion in 'Community' started by efoto, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efoto macrumors 68030

My company just randomly had a firedrill, fun thing to do at 10.14AM on a Tuesday :p

I was on the can, having a relaxing #2. Being in France I didn't quite know what was going on seeing as their alert siren is quite a bit different than the ones I know in the states. Some guy opens the bathroom door, screams something in French, then turns off the lights and runs away :p Thankfully the stahl had its own light, so no issues there luckily.

I finish up rather hurredly (there goes the relaxing/nap part of the morning) and make my way outside to be greeted by all my co-workers laughing at my tardiness.

So have you been anywhere fun during a firedrill? Ever been engaged in any 'interesting' activities during the alarm? ;)

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I was working on fixing a Peoplesoft issue on a person's system...Looked up for 10 seconds as someone passed by and told me I should really leave the building. Held up my glass of water...I'm prepared. Honestly I know where the stairs are. I used the same route every day to leave and enter the building. If I can’t find my way in the event of a fire I deserve to burn. Heck I’ve even thought of a tertiary escape if needed: Break the window and cross the skyway.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Wasn't a fire drill, but rather a *false* alarm...

I was at the Paris Hilton (no not that Paris Hilton... geez), I was at the Hilton Hotel in Paris (her namesake), and it was about 3:00 a.m. when the alarm went off... quite loud I might add. There were warnings being given in French by a female recording which I couldn't understand but I assume it said something to the effect of "get the hell outta here", so I did.

Once outside... in my pants only, no shoes, no shirt... we assembled in the parking lot. After about 30 minutes I went in the front door to the desk and inquired what was going on. The attendant said "pardon, false alarm", to which I replied, "then somebody ought to tell all of the people out in the parking lot!"

Didn't get any sleep the rest of the night!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My first year at Cal I was on the crew team (translation, I had no life and I had to be 'up and at 'em') by 5 am Monday through Saturday... at least twice, my really really cool roomies set off the fire alarms at 3 am (I actually ended up leaving that entire dorm building entirely).

Last summer, working at a computer company, the fire alarms went off. Soon people were telling each other not to bother heading outside; when asked if it had all been practice and unnecessary to evacuate, they responded, "No, it was a real fire, but we're safe upstairs." :eek:

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Two weeks ago: I'm at physiotherapy, strapped into a traction machine that's stretching my neck, and the fire alarm starts. Hoo-kay... I can't get myself out of this machine.

I'm staring at the ceiling at the sprinker head thinking: "Hmm. Sprinkler. Water. My head is attached to a metal machine with electrical motors. If that sprinkler cuts loose it's going to get mighty interesting around here..."

After a long minute or 2 a therapist rushes in and unstraps me and we all troop out of the building. Everyone is wondering what's going on, Some poor folks who were in the chair at the dentist next door can only say "Wha ha eer o eer eye ow ee ozen?"

Turns out that some construction workers in another suite set off the alarm and didn't know how to stop it.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

in my bed ... during my college years in the dorm ... a late night fire alarm typically involved me locking my door and laying back down. I got up for a few but most of the time especially on the second or third in a sucession I said screw it.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I work at a help desk and the fire alarm went off while I was in the middle of trying to fix some ones VPN client :rolleyes: . He didn't come back after the fire alarm so I didn't have to finish the job.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I was in a hotel in NYC during the start of the second gulf war. Everyone was already on edge because of the heightened terror alert and sure enough, the hotel's fire alarm goes off. I'm looking out the window for where the jetliner has crashed, but a few minutes later the cleaning staff is running down the halls telling everyone it's a false alarm.

9. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha, they didn't send anyone to tell you all that it was okay to come back!? Wow, excellent service at that hotel. That simply must add a star to their rating :p

10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Ummm at my school the RA's pass key your door and make sure you aren't in your room.

You get fined if you don't go out.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Annapolis Courtyard, 1 a.m., 1995.

I think his name was Brad.

12. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Same here. Thank god I'm not in the dorms anymore...now I can stay in my apartment during fire alarms and no one can tell me to leave :p

Thankfully that hasn't happened yet at our apartment complex, but if it did I probably wouldn't budge until I felt warmth or saw flames. Pack up the PB, prolly grab the 20" too, then walk out :D

13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Couldn't resist mate...

Ok so the only time that we have had a false alarm in my dorm (i was lucky), I had been up late (or early) as the DD for my fraternity, I went to bed at 3 am. No later than 1 hour exactly, did a fire alarm go off.

It was like March. I was not about to stand out in the freezing cold while the Nazi's...I mean RA's checked the rooms. I went to the Dorm next door and sat in their lobby watching Mystery Men.

I was the only one who thought of that.

Mike

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hee, too bad you would die from inhaling toxic fumes/ gases before you could feel the warmth or see flames/smoke. :eek:

That's scary though, my older cousin lived in one of the Oakland apartments (when that huge fire went through a good number of years ago)... he grabbed his then, brand new playstation. But a good chunk of that building went down. :(

15. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Ditto, almost to the letter. I figured if a 500+ room dorm was going to go all blazing inferno, I'd still be able to jump out my window (which was only on the 2nd floor). It's not like I could sleep with the racket of the alarm, so I generally logged on to my computer and responded to email until it went off.

16. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Thankfully HE is ok though.

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow, that's really obnoxious. Glad it wasn't this way when I was in school...

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haha you can thank litigation-trigger-happy Americans for that. Sigh.

19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

When I was living in Ottawa many years ago I had an apartment in a building that happened to have a faulty fire alarm system. The bloody thing would go off at least once a week, and always at 2 or 3 in the morning. I'm sure the local firemen were pretty sick of the thing, as it would always take them like 30 minutes to get there. They would saunter in looking rather annoyed, shut the noise off and then leave. Now if that wasn't annoying enough, I had a roomate who was extremely claustrophobic and freaked out everytime the alarm went off (even though we all knew there really wasn't a fire). He would absolutely insist on taking the stairs down and then back up again, and freaked out some more if I didn't go with him. This wouldn't have been so bad if we didn't live on the 26th floor. Needless to say, it didn't take me very long to look for a new place to live.

20. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I suppose you can thank them, but I think it isn't a bad thing at all.

The fact is, if there was a fire what if someone didn't wake up to the alarm?
    dead.

just like that.

The fact that many people don't take fire safety (or any safety) seriously at all can bother me at times. Fire drills are an important thing, and I don't think skipping them is exactly the greatest things.

Of course I'm not judging you in any way and having nothing against you for skipping fire drills (we all do things we shouldn't).

I just wanted to point that out.

I hope I haven't offended you.

21. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

You can thank paranoid and over-protective parents who force the schools their children attend to set in place rules like this. In many cases, there are parents that push the schools to set in place safety 'nets' like this. This is a good idea (in case someone continues to sleep) however it does seem a little extreme to secure every room....although I don't have any other good idea on how to do it.

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The fire alarms went off in our apartment building at 2.30 last Saturday morning. Me and the missus blinked at each other for a couple of minutes before deciding we'd better investigate. I put some clothes on, wondered out to the stairs and saw a gaggle of people shivering in their dressing gowns out front of the building. I went back to the flat, we had a bit of a think about whether we should go out too, decided it would probably be for the best, and wondered downstairs. The Fire Brigade arrived about ten minutes later, turned the alarm off and sent us all back inside.

Turns out someone staggering in from a night on the town had broken one of the 'break glass' alarm buttons. Well done!

Not what you want to happen in the early hours of the morning...

23. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Ah yes, the memories at U of I. Most of the false alarms during the middle of the night had more women coming out of the guys dorm, than guys. During the one real fire, someone put on Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" on the stereo and put the speakers in the window. The staff was not real happy about that. ;)

24. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

That is classic, well done. We had someone play the song "the roof is on fire, let the mother fer burn" (can't think of the name), that was funny.

The best yet for us was freshman year at school. We had hall-sports where our halls would compete against eachother in sports and such like intermurals. We were playing soccer at the time (to the best of my memory) and our hall played rather dirty and beat the living shi* outta the hall the floor above us. They thought it would be funny to take fire extinguishers and raid our hall, letting them loose at 330am. So they run through, and 6 extinguishers later (simultaniously) the fire alarm is going crazy and we all head out, coughing our lungs up surrounded in whatever the hell is in those things. We actually thought we had a real fire and our hall was flooded with smoke!, couldn't see a foot infront of me. Turn the corner, and all the other halls were clear so then I knew trouble was a foot.

End story, everyone involved got put on probation and fined $400 each! for the extinguishers and fact that we had to call the fire department, again :p

Crime never pays kids, just remember that! :rolleyes:

25. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well i work partially in a disaster-recovery role, so i know when fire alarms are scheduled, but occasionally malfunctions (or small fires we TELL people are malfunctions) do catch us off guard. Once during an unscheduled alarm I was off doing illicit things, when i should have been at my desk: I returned to find people looking for me, well they found me as i had to part the crowd in the parking lot with my car... Boy, was my face red. My eyes were too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.