Where/how to store DVD's?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilentPanda, Sep 18, 2006.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

A while back I purchased one of those bookshelf type DVD storage things that would hold up to 360 DVD's... it's full. I should say over full because there are some that have never been shelved yet. Unfortunately I don't have enough space in a good location to put another shelf system like that. I could get a smaller one to last me temporarily but I know that would run out. I've also contemplated getting Sony's 400 disc changer but I'm sure that would fill up and I'd be stuck again.

I know a few people discard/store away the cases and put their DVD's in binders. I've thought about doing that but I also like to keep the discs alphabetized to make them easier to find. Storing them in binders doesn't seem to be a good fit. I have them all cataloged in Delicious Library so if that combined with something else would make a good fit... I dunno.

I guess my best solution is to "stop buying DVD's" but what's the fun in that? :) Does anybody have any recommendations? If nothing comes of this I think I'm just going to build a Raid 5 file server for when iTV comes out and put my computers on over drive converting them to "iTV format" and move my iTunes library to the file server.

2. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

you could try putting them all alphabetically in a dvd album, save the artwork, but throw away the plastic boxes.

just an idea. then you create a library list. keep the list up to date.

but you will save the box space. hell if you really need to put the boxes, in a few boxes, and keep the discs in the album.

it will save space and make it easy.

3. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The problem with that is that when you buy new DVD's you have to bump the whole DVD album around to fit the new ones... unless I just always buy them alphabetically. Forever.

4. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

It's recommended that you store CD's vertically to avoid warping over time....I suppose the same could be said about DVD's.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is kinda what i do. I put the boxes in the loft and put the DVDs in little plstic sleves. It takes up much less space and the sleves are easily labelled.

6. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Hrm... you know what would be really nice? Something like... DVD sleeves you could hang... kinda like putting your coats on a hanger in a closet but instead DVD's in sleeves. Then when you got new DVD's it'd be trivial to insert new ones where they belong...

Oh yeah! Patent Pending! :p

Edit:
    Dang... it's already kinda been invented... :(

http://www.cd-hanger.com/

I'll have to contact him and see if the single sleeves will work with this system... if so... :)

7. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Try a 3 ring binder with pages that hold CD/DVD's. That way you can keep it alphabetical and just insert a new page when you need it.

On a side note: how do you have the time to actually watch that many movies??? I'm lucky if I see a movie a week. Maybe I should just cut out eating . And sleeping. And hygiene. Adult diapers here I come!

8. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I really don't know... the first DVD I bought was in 1999 and I just keep buying 'em. That's 6 years if it was this time in 1999 that I started. I eat, sleep, am hygienic, and don't wear adult diapers (although that could save me some time... hrmmmm). I don't really watch TV at all so my TV time is movie/TV on DVD time... I usually hang out with friends 2-3 times a week, sometimes a whole day Saturday or Sunday... and I work full time... I play video games... I guess once I leave work I just don't have much for responsibilities aside from paying bills and such...

I don't have 360 DVD's though... some of them are Television seasons... which take up more space... although they can often times be longer than the movies that would have fit in a similar space.

Soooo... yeah... I really don't know. I usually only watch them once (why I don't rent I have no idea) but I do watch them... I go to some peoples places and they have DVDs still shrink wrapped from well over a year ago.

And what else are you going to do while eating Bamboo for hours on end?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I use DiscSox for my audio CDs and they also have DVD sleeves. The thing I like about them over some alternatives is that they allow you to keep all the original inserts with the CD and take up a lot less space.

http://www.discsox.com/

B

10. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think you have just made me happy a bit. Although I will probably be slightly poorer afterwards. :)

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I know. They're not cheap, but they are worth it. I've got ~750 audio CDs stored in a ~3x3x3 cube instead of the huge bookshelf I used before. :)

Fortunately I don't have as many DVDs as you and am still happy with Amaray cases...

I tried these too http://www.jewelsleeve.com/ but they were too flimsy for my taste, even though they do seem to provide a bit more "padding" for the discs.

B

12. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah I certainly wouldn't use jewelsleeves... not for "accessible storage". If I was storing them in a closet because my DVD's were ripped to my computer that'd be alright.

My CD's are already packed up since they're all in iTunes... unfortunately I can't afford the HD space to archive my DVD's or I'd consider it...

13. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004