Where is a good place to look/purchase online a Bluetooth Printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Feb 11, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

May sound dumb, but are there bluetooth printers out there? I thought I saw someone online once, but they were pretty expensive. I'm just trying to go as wireless as I can. I have the bluetooth mighty mouse, love it.

thanks for the help.

2. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I know a couple of hp printers support bluetooth through an after-market add on stick. I think it costs like $50... but I'm not really sure.

I think that bluetooth in printers is being phased out and replaced with 802.11 wireless. Wireless has a much higher bandwidth and doesn't face the same range restrictions as bluetooth.

This is slightly self serving, but I've got a printer for sale in this thread. It has built in 802.11G wireless networking, ethernet, and a little bluetooth logo on the front which I assume means that it supports the aftermarket bluetooth stick. Take a look.

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Nope. For wireless scanning you're going to have to spend considerably more money... and I'm not convinced it's worth it.

I have a hp 4-in-1 that supports scanning over ethernet. I have it connected to a wireless access point and could theoretically scan from it to my powerbook without any wires. Some of the newer 4-in-1's have built in WiFi... I think they start at about $400 or so.

I'm not nearly as big a fan of wireless scanning as I am of wireless printing. I use a dedicated canon scanner directly connected to my powerbook with USB instead of the 4-in-1 for my scanning needs.

High resolution scans can be over 100 MBs and even USB 2.0's large bandwidth can be saturated transferring a large scan... wireless is significantly slower then USB and I wasn't happy with the scan speed of the 4-in-1 over WiFi at all. In addition a stand alone scanner will generally provide better quality.

Finally, unlike a printer, you generally need to have the scanner located right near the computer in order to use it. I only scan on occasion and most of the time I don't have the scanner connected to my powerbook... when I need to use it I plug it in, otherwise I just leave the USB cord hidden behind the scanner.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

How about just picking up an Airport Express and plugging the printer into that? With my setup that's what I do and it works like a charm.

6. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Thats basically what we've got set up in our place, but instead of an Airport, its a G3 Powermac :)

Much easier, and we use it for file sharing as well