1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Where Is Apple Chancery

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by no1wammy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm trying to find this hidden system font. I know that it can be referenced in HTMLs and word docs, but I can't see it. Reason for wanting Apple Chancery is simple: add it to Windows XP.

Version: Apple Mac OX 10.6.8

Where can I find Apple Chancery?

2. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Just open up your Font Book app, type in apple chancery and it should appear in your list.

3. macrumors newbie

It DOES appear.

I was trying to find it in the Fonts folder manually, but it didn't show up. You actually had to search for that font using Font Book, then right-click and choose "Reveal In Finder." Apparently, the file stays hidden until you request the Finder to reveal it for you.

Quick Update: XP couldn't accept Chancery because it reports the file is damaged.

4. macrumors regular

no1wammy,

On my computer, Apple Chancery is a .dfont which doesn't work with Windows. I don't know if your version of Apple Chancery is a .dfont, a TrueType font (or a PostScript font), or an OpenType font but if it is a .dfont and if you want to use it on Windows and you'll have to convert it.

Mecha

5. macrumors G4

This is true. However, Apple changed the file extension of the Apple Chancery font file to .ttf. I gather that it cannot be installed on Windows because Apple Chancery is protected.

no1wammy is mistaken about two things:
    1. Apple Chancery is not a hidden font. It resides in plain view in the /Library/Fonts/ folder.
    2. Apple Chancery is not a System font. /System/Library/Fonts/ is the fonts folder for the System. /Library/Fonts/, where Apple Chancery resides, is MacOS X's global user font folder.

6. macrumors regular

MisterMe,

Very good information. Has Apple given up on using Datafork TrueType fonts (.dfont)? I know that many designers and prepress people had problems with the .dfonts originally but I hadn't heard much about it for a while.

Mecha