Where is Apple's appeal for help on the website now???!!?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mojohanna, Sep 1, 2005.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

All, I find this very curious. Back when the tsunami's took place Apple almost immediately posted a message and links clearly on the home page. It is frustrating to me that Apple has not done the same for those in the same desperate need right here in their own country.
    Now is the time to make a statement and leave an indellible (sp?) impression on the the country as a company that is compasionate about its citizens and frankly some of its customer base.

C'mon Apple, get after it!!! Do the right thing.

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

They do have one the bottom left of the Filemaker block.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Or those emails you got from iTunes about the hurricane

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The scale of the tsunami was a bit bigger though. Plus, (putting cynical cap on) it's always much better publicity to advocate charity for lesser developed (exotic) countries compared with helping your own. :(

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why don't you write about all the companies who didn't say anything about it?

7. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

The scale may have been bigger, but the point is that this is here.... in your own country. Part of the reason why things were so bad with the tsunami was the fact that it was lesser developed countries without the building codes etc. IMO that does not change the fact that human suffering is human suffering.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I know exactly where you're coming from but I'm a little more cynical. I don't think Apple put the link to the tsunami stuff up to help the victims directly so much as to come across as a helping and friendly company. Sure, a bit of it would have been about the actual victims, but not all that much.

Purely from a marketing perspective, it looks great to be helping third world countries (over there) rather than helping first world countries (over here). From a utilitarian point of view, the tsunami victims needed help more than the Americans do now. I'm not advocating this in the least, but like everything on Apple's front page, it's all about the marketing. It sucks though.

Oh, and for the record, I live in Australia, not America. :)

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes, and Apple actually are doing more than most companies out there. Anything is better than nothing. Although i do admire Walgreens right now, my mom works for them, any of the Walgreens down around New Orleans have been instructed to take in any Walgreens employees and help out as needed free of charge, and they are matching any employee donations. Might not be much either, but what do you expect.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

So what are you doing to help?

11. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I don't think I need to be called to the carpet, but if so, I have donated blood and my wife and I have been talking about how much we can afford to give. Additionally, we have gone through our closets and our kids and are trying to figure out how we can get about 4-5 large bags full of clothes to people that need them. It may not be much but as others have said every little bit counts.

If I am going to be called out and ask what I am doing, I am curious to know what you may be doing.

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The Missing Bite is donating 10% of all of its September sales to the Red Cross. Very nice of them, I think...

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, you were the original poster who seemed to be trying to make some sort of point - not entirely sure what it was, perhaps that Apple is unAmerican or something?

If you comment on this, expect to be called out on it.

And before you ask me, I haven't done anything yet. Having lived in Ireland and the UK through the 90s, I'm not allowed to donate blood. I expect I'll just have to donate money or something.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Actually, there is something on the home page for Microsoft... a news link right in the middle that says "News: Hurricane Katrina: How you can help the survivors".

15. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i myself will be donating nothing. Why should i donate money for that which your government should supply. The US government and FEMA in particular have budgets big enough to deal with this type of disaster. They just aren't responding properly or promptly.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

You could do more than thaaaat. Give your children to work in a camp where they will build new homes and pass buckets of water back over the levees.

17. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Well, I would expect more companies to start having things where you can donate money like apple is doing.

I am proud to say I have donated $1250 to the american red cross because of this incident. I would donate my medical help, but the situation sounds a little dangerous down there according to the media. I also went to an armory in CT where Jodi Rell (governor) has requested people donate items that will be flown down to New Orleans (TONIGHT) via a company that has donated the use of its cargo planes. I also donated 10 cases worth of Poland Spring bottled water from cost Costco. Each of those 10 cases had 35 bottles of water, so I donated 350 bottles of water.

18. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

19. mac-er macrumors 65816

The problem is that they have started a precedent...with 9/11, the tsunami, and now any diaster...they will be expected to put something up on the main page.

And, this is an American company. And this is a major American disaster....so it they should put something up. Quite frankly, any country should put its own first (in terms of humanitarian aid...we are all the same as far as rights...so no flames).

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apple didn't really do anything last time, and they're doing about the same this time. Giving the disaster a mention on the main page isn't doing much good. Its a gesture that's more like advertising than anything else, so yes, I agree with Mad Jew on that one. If Apple donated money or something to the cause, then THAT is something. In the big wide world, Apple's main page is nothing, so I think some of you are making a big deal over nothing.

And unless you're doing something yourself, don't complain that others aren't doing anything.

21. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Donate Money To The Worlds Richest Country?

What a bizarre notion! Why not take some money from the billions and billions you spend on occupying the rest of the world and creating ever more sick weapons such as blinding lazers & microwave weapons and redirect it to your own needy?

I half wonder whether or not - Wovoka, the Paiute Messiah's prophecy is finally coming true. Hoka Hey?

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apple are a major Red Cross contributor. Of course, they contribute regularly, not only when a disaster makes it fashionable, so I suppose that doesn't count.

23. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

off-topic: have you guys seen that music player on the m$ homepage? that thing is huge. could it be a cd player?

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Right, because a couple billion will be enough to feed the half million or so in New Orleans alone, never mind rebuild the entire area.
    another link This was bigger than Andrew, and flooded almost all of New Orleans. I doubt the insurance companies are even going to bother really assessing the damage. "**** it, just start over guys".

So tell you what, next time something happens in your country, I just might not donate anything, because "your government should supply it".

Ass.

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I put a statement and links to various relief organizations on my company web site as soon as I got into the office on Monday. Sadly, my competitors sent out emails with promotions to buy and they would donate $10 for each sale. I thought that was disgusting, using a tragedy to stimulate sales.