Where is Blu-Ray movie support in 10.4.9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by princealfie, Mar 16, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I am stunned that there isn't any Blu-Ray movie support with 10.4.9 update. Oh well :(

I was hoping that if Apple got the boat earlier that would solve the immeasurable problems of who wins...

MCE offers their Blu-ray drive now :)

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I didn't actually expect 0.0.x update would offer any major new functions,

also, maybe Blue-Ray and HD DVD need both the support of hardware and software, so there will be no point to do anything for Tiger anyway, since no current macs have that hardware.

3. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Also to add, apple or nvidia won't comment if the 7300gt/7600gt in the 24" iMac supports hdcp to allow playback of HD content via HD DVD/Blu-Ray

So It would kinda be pointless to hook up a blu-ray drive and not be able to watch blu-ray...

But if your purpose is just to burn HD content to play back on a blu-ray player, then I guess it's okay.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

until blu-ray proves to be the decisive winner over hd-dvd, i wouldn't expect apple to offer blu-ray support in macs. i also wouldn't expect blu-ray until prices come down to an acceptable level.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Data storage...

6. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

If Blu-ray and HD-DVD remain crippled because of encryption requirements, Apple might just circumvent them altogether and push high-definition downloads while leaving disc-based movie watching to third-party applications. I imagine neither Apple nor many of its users are pleased that you're "not allowed" to watch a high-definition Blu-ray film on your 30" Cinema Display.

Note that the AppleTV reportedly does not have HDCP digital restrictions management. The new paradigm for movie watching will be:
    1. Internet -> Mac -> AppleTV
    2. Disc -> third-party ripping software -> AppleTV

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Stunned? Did you really expect Apple to release a marketable feature in a 10.x.x update, and for free? I'm sure it will be part of Leopard though.

8. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but in DVD player preferences, it now has HD tab. Not really relevant to Blu-ray, but it does seem that there is already some kind of support for HD-DVD.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, try put in a HD-DVD disk.....

10. andrewheard macrumors regular

He'd need an HD-DVD drive for any possible chance of it working.

11. GTJ macrumors newbie

Ill try this later tonight when im home, i have the xbox hd-dvd add-on so hopefully with the update it will work. I know dvd player had some hd-dvd support before 10.4.9 but it didnt work. Out of intrest, if it doesnt work now when leapord comes out and has hd-dvd support will my 1.83 core duo with a gig of ram play a hd-dvd?? i was wondering bout it cause of the crappy graphics card. Anyone know??

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I guess leopard won't help ur MB play HD-DVD since MB doesn't have an HD-DVD drive, unless u can get your Xbox HD-DVD to work on OSX by some ways.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1. Apple tends to adopt technology long before it becomes a standard or even a 'winner' in the tech war.

2. Apple already pledged support for Blu-ray and holds a seat on the board of directors.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

when companies are small and less influence, they can make risky choices, nothing to lose anyway, when they get bigger, yet not big enough to dominate market, and facing a choice like HD v Blue Ray, My guess is apple will support both.
    This is very reasonable, Just like M$ supports HD-DVD, lol

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It has nothing to do with Apple's size or what any other company may do. Apple has often adopted new technology way faster then most competitors. I see no reason why this will be any different. And yea, they probably will eventually support both (unless one dies a quick death), but they will support blu-ray long before they support hd-dvd just due to the fact that they already invested money in blu-ray.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not true.

With DVD Studio Pro, you can burn up to a 30 minute HD-DVD on a standard single layer DVD-R. Then you can put it into any updated Mac and watch the HD-DVD.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i have a feeling he was talking about a commercial blue-ray or HD-DVD disk which obviously can't be played with a mac currently. Whether you can make some "home-made" HD movie, sounds like a different problem.

18. GTJ macrumors newbie

The xbox hd-dvd add-on does work under osx. Its usb 2.0 and is automatically recognised as soon as its plugged in. Curently their is no software under tiger to allow for playback tho. Thats why im wondering if this will work with the updat in 10.4.9

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, understood your situation, try it out and lest us know the result.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

1. yes i agree.

2. wrong. Apple have 'pledged' support for both.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Then would you so kindly produce some proof (and not rumors) of Apple supporting HD-DVD.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Member list for the DVD Forum.

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That is not proof. That site covers DVD and HD-DVD. Apple most certainly backs DVD.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, where is the proof that apple definitely will NOT support HD-DVD?

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Seeing as though the xbox 360 HD-DVD player is recognised within OSX as soon as you plug it in and plays / works without any additional drivers albeit without the software in DVD player to play HD movies yet - but does play dvd's through it, I'd say its safe to assume apple will offer support for both formats.

Also.....

Apple will have to offer video card solutions that are HDCP port compliant in order to playback blu-ray and also update its Displays so that they too are HDCP compliant. So don't expect them to be offering it in the short-term regardless.