where is bttm in these political threads?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 8, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

during the early days of macrumors, or when macrumors became political in the then "general discussions" section, backtothemac used to hold the conservative point of view

but in the last few threads that have come up concerning politics, there has been almost nothing from bttm

besides mcrain and me from the past, there are plenty of new liberals or moderate liberals on the boards fighting mainly against ovi

come on, conservatives, speak up and make this of a more balanced debate or i will have to take up the conservative side (playing devil's advocate) just to make it sound like a fair fight on macrumors

it is macrumors.com, not liberalmacrumors.com?;)

2. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm conservative and usually side with Ovi in these debates.

I just have not had the time to spend right now.

Side note: I would think most users of Macs are liberal...

Think Different and all... :rolleyes:

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i know you are not a standard liberal, but i did not know you were a conservative

i thought ovi was all alone in high conservative post counts like bttm was in the old days:D

when i was a kid, i was a nixon and ford fan but too young to vote...in my early childhood years, didn't care and kennedy and johnson ran the show

when reagan came along vs. mondale i didn't have a preference

in 1988, i didn't like bush or dukakis that much so i only voted the issues of the time...but i voted more liberal issues than conservative ones

but by 1992, i was a true blue democrat and have been these last ten years

yes, i am old and will be forty 12 months from now...yikes;)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I've been staying out of the political threads to avoid having to say ...

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i hope you voted:D

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The political spats here have at times made one want to even avoid listening to these idiots much less vote for any of them.

About the only high point was when Sheriff Joe arrested Joe Arizona the opposing spokesman for the Indian Gambling Propopoop 20x on Halloween.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm sort of an odd-ball conservative...

I accepting of others and I don't always agree with whatever the Republican Party and/or Bush has to say or wants to do.

In that respect, I'm also not a far left, extremist liberal and was quite pleased when I saw the election results from Nov. 5th.

I'm more moderate than any other conservative I know...

[edit]
    Read if you will, the first page of the "is the american public losing confidence in bush" thread where Taft and I debated America's foreign policy. I think you will see that I'm not one of the far right "American can do no wrong" type of people. But I still see myself as moderatly conservative.
    [/edit]

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

some of the posts i see make me sick. i just can't think of anything better to say than that.... so i leave it up to the smart people like: taft, mcrain, and smartass alex.

as well as many others i didn't mention.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I avoid the political threads most of the time, but I to have noticed b2tm hasn't been around all that often lately. I'm thinking work has him too busy and when he gets home he's got his family. Its hard to put MR as a priority in that case, but his input is missed.

I have seen him around here recently, but he hasn't posted much.

D

10. Amadeus macrumors member

bush 2004

I voted Bush 2000. I'm not sure if I'm happy with my vote, but I think Bush is doing a good job.

I'd argue for the conservative side if I thought I could compete, but thus far, I have agreed with the political goings on here on Macrumors.

I voted for Bush because of the 3rd presidential debate. I got stoned and watched it (probably a rare situation: to get stoned and vote Republican).

But, I couldn't believe how unrealistic Gore was-- especially when it came to education policy. Alright Gore, you go ahead and try to find 100,000 new skilled teachers given the same wages --- I dare you to try. It would have ruined our system (more idiot teachers...as if we don't have enough...). I suggest we try out school vouchers-- help the smart kids, help the ones that work hard. This is pure Darwinism. While Gore may have been the smarter man, he was definitely not in the game politically.

I also liked Bush's personalitiy -- his handling of the Iraq situation is a good example. While the media blasts him, and I second guess him, he seems to know what he is doing.... or, at least, he knows how to manipulate the American people. That is a politician's job. The UN just passed an amazing resolution requiring Iraq to submit to "our" will. If Iraq doesnt comply, we still have the "power" to do what we please without too much UN red tape... that is simply brilliant. We get what we want, either way.

No, I don't want war, so we will give peace a chance... if it doesn't work, then we must act. It seems to me that Bush has thought this from the beginning but used harsh tactics to make Sadam and other leaders believe that he was serious about war from the beginning. He was serious about war, but his war-rhetoric was really a clever way to manipulate global opinion.

Most people don't give enough credit to Bush. He doesn't speak intelligently, and he appears to make many political blunders (Iraq and Enron). However, you must examine how these situations are turning out. Look who will be laughing last... it will be Bush (Iraq will submit or be destroyed and the stock market is on the rebound). This guy is cunning and witty, and does represent the American people.

I don't think that's why I voted for him, but it has been his brightest characteristic. I voted for him because I thought he was a better politician than Gore -- more capable of compromise and better suited to command a nation of idiots.

No offense America, but most of you are blind and ignorant to the political chess game and to the spin game.

I would have rather voted for Nader, but I just didn't see him as a capable president. Although he had good ideas, I just didn't believe that his ideas and attitude would work well with today's presidency: media, photo ops, and the like. These things are required. If Nader were president, we would be an isolation nation who focused only on ourselves... everyone knows that we cannot do this. Not only do the American people care too much, but the world depends on us too much to prioritze campaign finance reform and balanced budgets before world peace. What a stupid concept. How conceited can we get??!

There's my thoughts... I'd be more than willing to aruge conservative if the right argument came up... otherwise, I'll stick with the liberal crowd.

- Amadeus

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I think it would be a fair statement to say there is a higher % of liberal people who use Macs then conservative people. Just look where Macs are popular, public schools, art studios, journalism, music studios, movie studios, and on and on. They are the choice of artistic people which in general is a more liberal population. I mean really can you see John Assssscroft using a Mac???

I remember when all the Republicans thought it was SO BAD that the Clinton Admin was going after Microsoft. They don't have to worry about it now, because the Bush Admin. will give Microsoft everything it needs to continue its domination and grow. I am suprised that issue never comes up.

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

on the west coast in bg's district/state, uncle bill has both sides locked up

gee, i wonder how he did that:p

but i agree that mac users tend to be liberals...but then again, i live in northern california so that does not say too much ;)

13. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

14. Ovi macrumors 6502

Re: where is bttm in these political threads?

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: where is bttm in these political threads?

not in your own state, though;)

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

jeez, you make "conservatives" and "liberals" sound like gangs or something.

glad to see it makes you feel tough to "belong".

and yeah, conservatives are off reading whereas liberals are doing hooked on phonics. after all, making broad generalizations and being condescending is very intelligent and mature.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

conservatives are brainless freaks who only care about oil and feeding their own pockets.

i'll say it now so i don't have to say it after you react: "relax"

and for the record, the above statement is the exact thing that makes me ill. people taking any general group of people and lumping them all together in some derogatory way. backtothemac is a conservative, but with his thoughtful discussions on the topic, i see where he is coming from and why he feels certain ways. alex is more on the liberal side (not tryin to pigeonhole anyone. ;) ) and seeing him as the utter prick he is has led me to understand where he's coming from... haha. no. my point is that people are more than who they vote for. and if you don't see that, it's sad.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Man, I did not know that you missed me so much ;)

I have been working non-stop, and then like Duke said, when I get home I have family. But, here is a topic for you. Look at the Alabama Govenors race. Unreal. Can a Democrat politcian not just accept defeat? The North Dakota race was even closer than the Alabama race, and the Republican accepted defeat. Gore, could not. Our much hated Attorney General did accept his narrow defeat even when there was massive problems in the election.

I don't get it. Our govenor lost by over 3,000 votes, and cannot accept it, and now like a cry baby is wanting a recount, and then a recount, and then a recount, and then......

Just stiring up the flames ;)

19. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It was South Dakota not North Dakota....grrrrrr.....why does everyone always mess that up! South Dakota is so windy because Nebraska blows and North Dakota sucks as they say here...That is not bad though...I have met people from the south that thought South Dakota was near South Carolina...I guess from the South thing...anyhow just giving you a hard time...

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

glad to see you back. bttm!!!

i just reprimanded ovi for expousing some nazi, master race pundit ;)

it's ok to present right wing views but does that mean i, as a liberal, should bring out karl marx to try and defend clinton:p ;) :D

ok, now on the subject...i thought the south was really solidly republican...how could a race in the south in your state and others be so close?

i think it may be that the south, or most of its moderate voters, are starting to swing back towards the democrats

i could not imagine any close races just two years ago when the GOP slaughtered the democrats

in my state which is liberal, on paper, is in a swing towards the middle and simon, the GOP, candidate, lost by six points

he was twnety points behind just weeks ago and if the election were held next month, he might have won

it's so funny how the political pendulum swings in every state

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I use to call my self conservative but I have backed down to independant. You might ask why. The reason is I am very upset with Bush. I voted for him and now I'm sorry I did.

I am not saying that as an independant I would ever vote for a liberal because I won't. They want to make the world into one big padded room to protect everyone from themselves and I don't feel that that is right. What I am saying though is that when I vote now I don't vote for the blatant conservative because he is the most likely candidate that I could vote for to and win. I vote for the person I want in office now. Some would say I'm throwing away my vote. I say that if everyone voted with there voice then they wouldn't be throwing away there vote.

I have been totally avoiding political discussion threads for a few reasons. I got into a few when I first started here and they really got me worked up and upset. The other reason is the guy I work with is what we call a liberal with a gun. He claims to be conservative but more often then not his views whether he likes it or not are more liberal. Oh and he is a gun nut. I don't have a problem with guns I too am a gun owner but not in the sense that I am a collector. The only problem I have with people who are huge gun nuts is when there life revolves around them and in this case they claim that there business is way in debt and there's nothing they can do yet they go spend 20grand a year on guns. His life revolves around politics and it's all you can get him to talk about so I get enough of it at work.

That's enough for now. As you can see I have a few issues in my life at the moment. I have to go to work now and see that son of a bitch again.:mad:

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Why are you sorry that you voted for him? What has he done to let you down.

Jeff,
    The south is a really wierd place. The state of Alabama hasn't voted for a Democrat for President since 1868 or something like that, but all we have is Demcorats in the state government. It is crazy, and wierd really. Some sort of redneck checks and balances I guess :)

It is just out of control to me though that these people cannot accept the fact that they lost the night of the election. Where is taking a loss like a man? Unreal really.

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

it sounds like my party were real party poopers in your state

i could understand gore asking for a recount, but the alabama situation sounds like a clear win on the part of the GOP in your state

i used to think the GOP, started by lincoln, would never get a hold in the south because of that

i still see the democrats with johnson, carter, pepper, richards, gore, and clinton as a southern entity...oops, i forgot john travolta, the southern governor:D

travolta played clinton to a tee

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I voted for a president to help the american people. Bush just wants to help himself. That includes carrying out vendetas for his father in Iraq. I have seen no overwhelming evidence that we need to attack Iraq. I personally believe along with a number of people I know that 9/11 would have never happened if we had kept our noses out of the middle east in the first place.

Bush has turned out to be just like Clinton. He is totally ran by political polls. Whatever it takes to keep his poll numbers high.