Where is Do Not Disturb?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by gmanist1000, Aug 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

I know this was a feature in the Mountain Lion betas, but I can't find it in the final version. I Looked for a setting in Notification Center but there is nothing there.

Does anyone know if they removed it... or if it's hiding somewhere now?

2. macrumors 6502

Click on the notification center in the menu bar and scroll down to toggle off notifications.

3. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's at the top of the notification center. Just open it and scroll up to reveal the slider.

4. meme1255, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

macrumors 6502

Faster &*easier way: alt (option) + leftclick on Notifications icon in menubar :)

5. macrumors 6502a

What is this "Alt" key you speak of?

6. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

aka "option"

7. macrumors 6502a

I know... I said this because Mac don't have Alt keys.

8. macrumors regular

mopatops

Mine does! 'alt' on British, 'option' for you Americans. :p

9. macrumors demi-god

Guess my American option key is British-curious. :)

Attached Files:

10. macrumors 6502a

I was more referring to the fact that "Alt" isn't mentioned in OS X, but I believe that "alt" was added to the keys to allow Windows users an easier transition.

11. macrumors regular

mopatops

Haha! ;)

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Thank you everyone! Didn't know I had to scroll up in Notification Center to access it. Also, the Option/Alt trick is an awesome way to turn it off quicker.

13. macrumors 6502a

east85

Thank you! :D

14. macrumors 6502

I think that in Europe is Alt and in US is Option :) . I'm saying what I have on my MBP's keyboard / Apple Wireless keyboard ;)

15. macrumors 6502a

To be precise, European keyboards have symbols rather than labels for keys like this. Most symbols are actually a symbol, like the one for option: ⌥, but others are an abbreviation of the key's name ('ctrl'), and some have more than one, like command (which states 'cmd' and ⌘, and option which along with the earlier mention symbol also mentions 'alt'.)

16. dyn
    macrumors 68000

Has got nothing to do with Europe vs USA. Alt is unknown to OS X itself, every piece of OS X documentation in any language speaks of option and does not mention alt at all. They printed alt on the keys for compatibility with other systems and software because those take use of the alt key. The difference between option and alt is very minimal though, they do about the same.

17. macrumors 68030

Nothing to do with that. It's about Windows. The Alt key in Windows is equivalent to the Opt key in OS X. Plug in a Windows keyboard and see what Alt does. Apple prints it on there so that if you bootcamp your Mac, it's obvious what the Alt key is. It's NOT to help Windows users transition to OS X easier because there's no mention of the Alt key anywhere in OS X...

18. macrumors 6502a

It's not about Windows. Apple keyboards have been labeled with Alt since before the transition to Intel, and thus since well before bootcamp. It's on there because like control, it's a standard key on keyboards.

19. macrumors 68030

Good call. I'd forgotten that my PBG4 (which I no longer have) had the alt there as well.

20. macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I wish that when you turned the "Show Alerts and Banners" setting off, it would also mute the alert sounds. :-/ Super annoying still (especially for iMessage).

21. dyn
    macrumors 68000

For Messages you can turn off the sounds separately though.

22. macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

The whole point of the "Do Not Disturb" idea is to not disturb you for only a limited duration (otherwise you would disable the notifications in system preferences). Seems counterintuitive that this wouldn't include sound alerts. Yeah, I could go in system preferences and turn the sound alert off, but then again that destroys the whole idea of the quick "on/off" switch as I would have to go back into system preferences and turn it back on later. Yeah I could also mute my macbook, but I usually listen to white noise or classical music while studying and that would no longer be possible.

23. dyn
    macrumors 68000

Yep, I'd consider it to be a workaround, definitely not a solution. May be useful for people who are very annoyed by it though which is why I mentioned it.