Where is iMovie keeping my clips?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by benmadrid, Mar 24, 2007.

1. benmadrid macrumors member

Hi,

I am getting video from my camcorder onto my mac using imovie. All very easy. But where does it store the clips once they have come down the firewire cable and onto my laptop? I want to import the clips, make my movie with iMovie, output it in a small format, then remove the original clips so that my hard drive does not get too full. But where are these clips stored? i can't find them and I can see the HD filling up. If I delete the project will they end up in the trash?

Thanks for any help

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Clips Are HIdden Inside The .iMovieProject "File" Package

I understand your consternation. I was wondering the same thing yesterday. Turns out the .iMovieProject "file" is really a package. But Apple cleverly hides that from you so it looks like only one thing. Why I have no idea. Right click on it — Control+Click on one button mice - and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu you get. Switch that Icons view to Column view so you can see the contents of 3 folders in there including "Media" where you clips are.

Now your clips should have imported directly into the interface of iMove into the timeline or the clips bin according to the way you have your preferences set. You should not have to re-import them. If you drag these into the bin, iMovie will make copies and further bloat your HD. So look to see if your clips aren't in the timeline or clips bin before you copy any of these again unwittingly as you RE-import them again.

3. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for such a quick reply, it all makes sense now! Right, time to start regaining some hard disc space!

4. amysueli macrumors newbie

amysueli

Hello, all,
    I'm a total newbie -- first time post -- so I imagine i'm doing this all wrong. But I am trying to figure out how to open very old (2006-2007) imovieproject files from an old white MacBook. My daughter made a bunch of videos back then. I've been unable to open any of them.

I've searched everywhere online for a conversion app--can't find a thing. I haven't been able to figure out how to make the files play with Quicktime or iMovie. I have the geezer Macbook, running on Snow Leopard. That doesn't work.

I also have El Capitan on a Macbook pro and of course that doesn't work either. Any thoughts?

5. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

iMovie can do this. All you have to do is open iMovie and select File/Update Projects and Events. It should find them and make them usable within iMovie.

6. amysueli macrumors newbie

amysueli

Thank you so much! I'd tried dragging the file into iMovie but I never thought of update. I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks again!

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

imovieproject files were produced by iMovie6HD. That used to be included with Macs prior to Leopard, after which came iMovie08. Do you still have the old White MacBook? It should have iMovie6HD on it.

The latest iMovie, iMovie10, will do that for iMovie 11(v9) projects but not for iMovie6HD projects. As far as I know.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2016 ---
    Just seen your last post. Any luck?

8. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Not iMovie 6, but everything from 7 on it will: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202853

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Yes, but not iMovie6HD, which is where the imovieproject file comes from.