Where is my candidate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, May 26, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Where is my candidate. Where is this person? Where is the one that can stand up for what is right without corruption? Without corporations having their hands in the candidates pocket. Where is the person that has common sense to propose a tax structure that is fair? That doesn't punish those that make money, but doesn't burden those that don't. That is brave enough to do away with the AMT tax? That will make rich corporations pay their own way? That doesn't allow laws to be passed that are full of pork? That has the common sense to say, hey, I don't like abortion, but in the first trimester a woman can do what she wants. After that, unless a Dr. confirms that she will die, or suffer life long medical problems, then she can't. Where is the candidate that will let people have free speech? That won't put people in power that either lie to us, or allow themselves to be misled into believe lies. Were is the person that will unite the world behind a common goal, to work against terror. Were is the one that will help the Palistinians gain a state. That will help second tier states gain economic foundations? That will develop a real exit strategy in Iraq that will lead to success for both the Iraqi's and the U.S.

Where is the candidate that will not allow themselves to be morphed into a centrist figure that tries to make everyone happy, but will do what is RIGHT regardless of what the polls say? That has the courage to say, we are all wrong. Lets learn from each other, and figure out what is right because NO ONE is always right, and NO ONE has all of the answers. Where is this person?

I know they will not accept the Democratic or Republican nomination.

Whipes tears from eyes.....

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nor will the Deomcratic or Republican nomination be offered to such a person. I think it's a result of the stranglehold the two parties have over the electoral process. One must be sufficiently extreme to appeal to the base of the party during primary season, then tack to the middle to appeal to the broad spectrum of voters. Add to that the increasing polarization of congressional districts due to gerrymandering to carve out 'safe' seats for one side or the other and you get an increasinly strident Congress as well.

And I don't see it getting better anytime soon. :(

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my cynicism says that person wouldn't be offered it.

4. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, when I am 35 (2 years) I will run in 08. I will run off the net. I will loose miserably. I will do it though.

Backtothemac in 08.

Just wait.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

On a related note, Brahimi's top choice to lead Iraq has turned down the offer. Which probably makes him the most qualified person for the job.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe, I bet YOU'D see the anti-trust suit against M$ through! :D

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well, i'd say of the 3 major candidates in this election, nader fits more of your demands than the other two

i think the most important is that the person is independent... ie, not owned by corporations. that way, while you may not agree with them on every issue, at least they're doing what they think is right, not what will make their donors richer....