Where is my disk space going "others"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Sound Evolution, Aug 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Dear All,

Since a while my disk space is getting eaten insanely. And I have no idea what is happening. I keep running out of disk space. I already hardly have any movies or any big files left. Yesterday I erased another 5GB. of movies, but just one day and all my free extra 5GB space was gone too :(

What is going on here. I can't erase anything anymore.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

I don't know what's eating up your new free space. Maybe downloading files from cloud services? (iCloud, Dropbox, etc..)

But you can use an app like jDiskReport or Disk Inventory X to map your disk usage.

http://www.mactip.net/tip-check-wha...st-space-on-your-hard-drive-with-jdiskreport/

If you scan your entire disk / , it will visually display which folders are taking up all the space, and you can drill down to subfolders.

Best not delete anything out of /System and /Library unless you know what you're doing, but the files in /Users and /Applications is your stuff.

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

4. macrumors regular

Whoh! That's a whole lot of other getting used up!