Where is my Powerbook / iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by KBFinFan, Sep 24, 2003.

1. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

Just a little rant..

My iPod shipped last Friday and was scheduled to arrive yesterday (9/23). Well Airborne's site only says that it was picked up in China on 9/19 and is IN TRANSIT. When I called they had no idea where it was and informed me to call back in 24 hours.

My Powerbook shipped Monday and according to Apple was sent expedited shipping, but according to Airborne it was sent ground. Either way its tracking number just comes up as an error and Airborne says it is IN TRANSIT as well and is scheduled for today (doubtful).

Now UPS, my best friend, is sending my Tom Bihn case, and I know exactly where it is... and when it is coming... today.

Sorry, I am just anxious for my new Powerbook and wondered if anyone else is having this delay? Is it customs? Also, what is the point of a tracking number when they don't know where it is?

2. Lord Bodak macrumors 6502

When I ordered my PowerBook (which is supposed to ship tomorrow *crosses fingers*), I also ordered Airport Base, iSight, a bag, and an extra AC adapter.

The Airport & AC adapter shipped Airborne. All I can say is Airborne's tracking system sucks. The first day when they shipped the system showed me they were in Illinois; for four days (including a weekend) after that both the tracking numbers errored out. Finally the morning I got the packages, the tracking system showed me where they were.

The bag and iSight came FedEx and I could follow them every step of the way.

3. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I am hoping for.. the packages arrive and then POOF! airborne knows where they are...

Good Luck

4. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

The same thing happened to me as well. The lady at Airborne Express told me that there were talks in either renegotiating or cancelling Apple's account because of these kinds of things. The same thing happened with my iPod, when it was supposed to be delivered I called and the woman told me it was in Shanghi, Taiwan not where it was SUPPOSED to be. She said Apple ships online sales through IL in the states, but the product is actually coming from overseas. And yes I agree Airborne Express' tracking methods suck.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

KBFinFan,

I'm in the EXACT boat that you are. My iPod was said to have shipped on 09/18 and is currently In Transit. I just called Airborne and they said Apple had not given them a delivery date yet. Whatever that means just ship it asap ya know. My powerbook has shipped and should be here sometime this week with no problem tracking it. My Tom Bihn case is in the mail as of today.

My big question is what happens about the $200 rebate on the iPod for students? I mean, I'll probably return it if I can't get the rebate cause I'm strapped for cash and paying bills. Do you think we could still apply the rebate if we receive the iPod well after the Sept27th deadline?

Abraxsis, how long did it take you to get your iPod?

PS - I'm on hold with Apple and this tribal music is horrible. 35 minute wait, can you believe that!

6. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

I called about the rebate last Tuesday after I placed my order and some Apple guy 'Wade,' said it shouldn't be a problem doing the rebate and what not.

Just curious, how/when did your PB ship? Did it ship Airborne? Or another company with good tracking information?

PS - I held for 21 minutes yesterday and really wasn't told anything worthwhile

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Wow.. I was on hold for 30 minutes and had a 5 minute conversation with a rep. Hopefully I don't get a brain tumor from my cell phone. Anyways, he said that the iPod probably hasn't cleared customs in Shanghai and that it is 3-5 business days before it would leave there (today is the 4th day). He said hopefully it would be here by the end of the week. If not, to call back and check on the status. It seemed he had the same info as Airborne and was just speculating.

As for the rebate. He said you could send in the rebate with what you have (PB and printer), then Apple would contact you saying you forgot your iPod information and to mail it in separately.

I ordered my PB and everything else on the 09/17. The order status page says my PB was shipped on 09/22 and iPod on 09/18. He also said I had expedited shipping though I only did the free ground service. Nice if Apple bumped up the ship time for free because of these delays.

8. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE:

9/22/03 10 : 15 am In Transit. Taipei, Taiwan

9/23/03 5 : 13 pm Picked Up by Airborne. Shipper's Door

This is what I get when I search for my PB now... an improvement from the error code I had been getting.

I called Airborne Express and they said to basically call back in 24 hrs (which they've said everyday this week). However, the lady said 'shipper's door' is still overseas. So maybe it's at least on the way to the US. As far as the iPod its dissapeared off the face of the earth.

Tom Bihn case arrived today just waiting for a slip in my mailbox

9. noneis macrumors member

im in exactly the same situation, my ipod suposedly shipped on the 19th, and my powerbook the 23rd. i called airborne on monday to find out where the ipod was because their tracking info would not work, and the lady told me tue or wed to expect it. later that day my tracking info updated with an expected delivery date of the 23rd. so i waited, the 23rd came and went no ipod. just got off the phone with airborne and apple, and they both said it was the others fault, however the also both said they had NO IDEA where my ipod was???? wtf is with that? how can they have no clue where my stuff is? im a switcher, and ill tell you this apple needs to follow their own advice, start thinking diffrently and "switch" to fed-ex. on the other hand the appl rep said i should get my powerbook by friday, though im not counting on it.

10. juanaday macrumors newbie

My iPod and PB also shipped Fri and Mon via Airborne. Yes, their tracking is pretty whack. I did get my iPod yesterday, but so far little trace of the PB. It did arrive in Los Angeles yesterday, per the tracking info, but there hasn't been much movement. Today it just shows "In Transit." I'm in San Diego, so it doesn't have too far to go.

Are you aware of the two different tracking numbers? (This has been discussed over at the MacNN forums...) There is the number listed on the "shipping" email. This seems to only work once an item gets on US soil. In the "invoice" email is a "waybill" number. This allows you to track the shipment from overseas.

I also had spoken to an Apple rep and as long as you place your order before 9/27 you should be fine for the rebate, regardless of when you actually get the items.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've had the same experience, too. On Friday I checked Airborne and it said it just got shipped from Illinois and was being sent Second Day so I was all excited to get it around Monday or Tuesday (yesterday). Only problem, by Monday the tracking number come up as invalid. Today I was frustrated so I called Airborne and was told by a guy in customer service that my PowerBook is currently in China and to call back in 24 hours for any further info on when or where it might be. What sucks is that I had asked for the free standard ground shipping through UPS...it would have been here by now or within a day from now if it had just stayed UPS ground instead of being upgraded by Apple to Second Day Airborne Express. So here I am...all the software I bought via standard UPS ground is already here but the one thing I *need* and actually have coming Second Day is infact AWOL as of yet.

12. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Called Airborne and used the Waybill number and got some answers. My computer along with 13 others I think left Chicago or wherever IL today and are headed out. According to the lady (finally a intelligent person) my computer should be out for delivery tomorrow.

Now, my iPod, thats still in IL doing customs stuff..

At least tomorrow could be the day!

Switching tomorrow?
    -Kyle

13. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Did the lady tell you the status of your iPod? Mine still says Left Airborne Station (tracking #) / In Transit (waybill).

I hope so too!

14. microrario macrumors member

I'm in the same predicament, except a lot worse. I ordered 2 40GB iPods and 2 15" 1.25GHz Powerbooks on Sept 16. The iPods finally shipped yesterday and are in Shanghai right now. As for the Powerbooks, Apple sent me an e-mail saying they wouldn't be shipping until Oct 1! So I called and yelled the crap out of the supervisor and got $100 credited to my card.

On an unrelated note, which reciept are you sending Apple for the rebate? The e-mail reciept that they sent you, or do they pack a reciept in the box?

15. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Follow up observation:

On Airborne's site my iPod says shipped on 09/18 (tracking #). I just requested an email be sent to me with the shipping details and it says 09/23 (weybill) at Shipper's Door. So my guess could be that it IS infact shipping now. For my PB it was about 12 hours later after being at Shippers Door that Chicago was notified that they had it and it was shipping.

*Crosses fingers for the 20th time *

16. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

I posted this in another thread:

If you want to find out where your package is / when you will get it, call Airborne and choose the international shipping option. They will tell you everything. I spoke to an Apple CSA and he told me the Airborne Domestic people don't understand what is going on when the shipment is international, and their system doesn't interpret it correctly.

I spoke to the Airborne people and they told me my package cleared customs and will be delivered tomorrow.

17. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

As for my iPod recieved it within a week and a half of "shipping" which means it left some factory overseas. As for my Powerbook they just updated and ANOTHER DELAY. Now back to Oct 3rd, and seeing my order was placed on the 4th of THIS month I am seriously pissed. I mean REALLY mad. This is ridiculous, one month turn arounds are unprofessional and should be addressed at the corporate level. Apple does nothing different than an "PC" retailer when it comes to assembly of product. Apple should be reprimanded for not keeping large enough stock on hand to meet public demand, no other computer company seems to have this problem on an "Apple sized" scale. My best friend ordered a custom Gateway and it was here in 5 days, 5 DAYS!!! Maybe Im just venting, but this was an 1800.00 purchase, not chump change. And I didnt "pre-order" anything either, so I expect it soon or I will cancel the order and continue being a PC user. And by PC I mean FreeBSD, not Windows.

But I will keep my iPod, cause it simply kicks a$$.

18. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Got it!

My PB was delivered today! I'm going crazy, this puppy is beautiful! I also noticed that my iPod has cleared customs in IL, so if Airborne delivers on Saturdays I would expect it then.. if not, then Monday.

Questions anyone?

19. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is here as well, it certainly is beautiful. Being a switcher I will take a while to get used to.

Best Feature:
    Keyboard

Worst:
    N/A

20. juanaday macrumors newbie

hurray!

My powerbook arrived, as well! :D

Unfortunately I don't want to plug it in at work yet since I don't think I'll have time to fully charge the battery for calibration. Will have to wait until I get home.:mad:

Still, I'm a happy camper now :cool:

21. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Same thing here! It is so annoying! It doesn't make any sense why it should be in the far east when i live in NH! I just hope it's here by tomorrow although i highly doubt it. Additionally fex ex loaded my printer on the wrong truck so it went from sacramento to salinas back to sacramento. All i've gotten so far is my bag and apple care but it doesn't help if i don't have the computer to go along with it. Lets form a mob!
    Excalibur313