Where is Openoffice going?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AmigoMac, Sep 16, 2004.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I really don't think THIS is good news for the opensource community... there must be as always a devil idea behind this but maybe it's just me who thinks that MS + Opensource can't go fine together...

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why has MS always had the right to sue Open Office users? Its something about a patent, but the article is so vague, only brushing along the surface of the details, that they seemed to left out "some" important points, and by important points, I mean the main point.

3. therevolution macrumors 6502

As part of their settlement, Sun and Microsoft have made an agreement not to sue each other for patent infringements for the next 10 years. Microsoft wanted OpenOffice excluded from that... reason being that if they hadn't, then theoretically, some open-source programmers could add some copyright-violating code into OpenOffice, and Microsoft couldn't sue them. They're just covering themselves... though I'm sure they don't mind all this press coming out making it sound like if you use OpenOffice, you'll get sued...

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Openoffice is ok. I wish Apple would get in the ring with Microsoft with a Office product.

5. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

appleworks in the equivlent of microsoft office in my world.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would say appleworks is the equivalent of microsoft works (which is in the version i've seen a year ago not really bad )

8. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

The only thing I really use from AW is the database, pretty easy, quick and clean, of course for Home registers... my wife likes it, she has been writing and preparing some material with it, intuitive she says, but looks ugly (Compared to other apps), that's her only remark... until now!

9. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I don't consider a Appleworks a match for even Microsoft Works. Whenever I am forced to use AW, I feel like I'm using my father's computer with win3.1. It feels cludgy. My opinion... I know others use it and like it.

There were rumors that Sun and Apple were in talks about Apple using StarOffice for a new productivity suite. For some reason, the deal with Microsoft deep sixed it though. Like I said, it was just a rumor.

10. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

To all the people who say "Everyone loves bashing m$ :rolleyes: ": THIS is why I hate them. They do childish crap like this to companies. Let's hope they don't sink OpenOffice.org

11. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I like Appleworks. MS Office is way too bloated for my needs. I'm still wondering about Apples rumored office suite, iWorks. :confused:

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I like AppleWorks too. To print things at school though, I need to use Word. All the school computers are XP :mad: If I could use only AW I would...

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

text edit forever :eek:.

seriosly i hope openoffice gets made OS X native, i hate haveing to use x11. so i'm useing appleworks which is ok.

14. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

OO probably wont be OS X native until Q1 2006. :(

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I use Text Edit for my word processing needs. It did just fine. I do have Office v.X for when I need to do powerpoint presentations and whatnot.

16. EminenceGrise macrumors member

BAH! Vi forever! :eek:

$ vi letter.tex
    i
    /documentclass[11pt]{letter}
    /begin{document}
    /end{document}
    ESC
    ZZ
    $ pdflatex letter.tex

;)

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

UNIX Office

vi is your Word
    bc is your Excel
    banner is your Powerpoint
    mail is your Outlook
    awk is your Access

All free from your friendly Mac UNIX prompt. Type man and give it one of those commands for online help.

18. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

That was Geek! :p ... I'll give vi a try.. Openofffice should push harder for advertising... IMO, at least on this site of the atlantic...

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

20. EminenceGrise macrumors member

and

ed is your TextEdit :)

21. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

My first semester of college I took all my notes in Appleworks -- generally good, though a wee bit clunky. I used RTF for everything except running backups, where CWK format was the only option.

Then for second semester I needed a slideshow program to make visual aids easily for public speaking. Not being able to try Keynote (which would have been cheaper and evidently a bit superior), I rushed out after the technology assurance announcement at the MWSF 04 Stevenote and bought Office v.X Academic, which I used until 2004 came. Word for Mac is probably the best word processor I've ever seen...but LyX on Linux is pretty good, and you can't beat OOo for free.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

and grep is your Tiger Spotlight. :p

23. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That's the best :D I should use that as my sig