Where is "System Preferences" hiding?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Scotjock, Aug 16, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Suddenly I cant pull up my System Preferences. I click and nothing happens. I need to change my password (cuz my other half is accessing my computer remotely and that needs to stop.):mad: Any suggestions?

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

System Preferences is located in the Applications folder. If you're clicking the icon in the dock and it's not opening, you can try going directly to the application, but your best bet is to restart.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

i.e. just did a restart and it still wont come up!:confused:

I see the file [in the Applications folder] - I double click and it goes like a 'ghost open' then nothing!

5. macrumors 6502

It could be a permissions issue. You might consider firing up the Disk Utility and running repair permissions on your disk. Also, you might look to see if there are any telling error messages in /var/log/system.log from the application (or use the Console.app utility).

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'll see if I can do that

will post again if still no luck!:D

7. macrumors 6502

actually, do post again either way as this will help others that might find themselves in this situation.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

disk repais brought up the following... (which i don't get!)

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

9. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Okay sometimes it's the simple things...

• Does it show System Preferences in the Menu Bar (top of the screen)?
    • Can you click on View and select Show All Preferences?
    • Or just push Command L

10. macrumors 6502

The repair permissions doesn't mess with files that are SUID (setuid). Any change in behavior?

11. macrumors 6502

I had this problem until I updated to 10.5.8

Make sure you're running the latest version of Leopard:)