Where is the F13 on a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotnina, Sep 1, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Okay, this may be a dumb question; bear with me for a second.

I decided to change the keyboard commands for Expose tonight. For the F keys, I could pick anything from F1-F13. Excellent, I thought -- I'll pick F11 / F12 / F13!

Problem: My PB (15" AlBook, Rev C) has no F13 button.

So, I was wondering: is there a button that serves as F13, or is it there for people with external keyboards (do those have F13s)?

Yes, possibly a dumb question, but I thought it was odd that I was afforded the F13 option when there's apparently no F13!

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I have a F13 key on my PowerMac's keyboard. I'm guessing, then, that the F13 key isn't on laptop keyboards :confused:

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The PowerBook only goes to F12, I was confused too. Eventually I settled on F11, F12 and Command-F11.

4. Arnel macrumors member

Is it the Eject key, perhaps?

On the iBook (G3), we have one less key on the top row because of a couple of clips for accessing the memory bay, and so our Eject key also doubles as F12. A tap for F12, press and hold to eject.

You have a "proper" F12 key, but I'm wondering if they perhaps do the same double-function thing on the Eject key for F13?

Give it a try!

Neil
    a.k.a. Arnel

Edit: I just checked the Exposé pref pane on my iBook, and it gives me the option of F13 as well, so it may simply be the panel not checking if you have an F13 key available!

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't think that the eject key is an F13 key in disguise. If you use a third party keyboard with a PowerBook, or any Mac for that matter. The F12 key functions as the eject button. I think that the PowerBook simply has a dedicated eject button rather than doubling it's function with F12.

6. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you're right, Stoid.

Thanks for the info everyone :)

We now have the first MR thread that I know of dedicated to the F13 key on the Powerbook. ;)

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i have change my fn (bottom left) key to expose it works really well,.... give it a try you wont ever go back

8. mms macrumors 6502a

My iBook only has F1-F12, but that's because there isn't a full-sized keyboard on laptops. My Apple full-sized keyboard (the black, old one that came with my Cube) has up to F15, but F14 and 15 are by default assigned to screen brightness, still leaving F13 unassigned by default.

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

how do you use your function keys then?

i still prefer mouse corners... it a bit more impressive. ;)

interesting about F13... what about 14 and 15; why can they not be assigned to Exposé?

peace.

10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

and what would i need those for???

11. neut macrumors 68000

neut

? i have no idea what you would use them for, but for the programs i use they are necessary to achieve a productive workflow... it was a little weird getting used to using the fn key in combination with the function keys; im reluctant to take away top functionality from the volume keys and such as i tend to use those just as much.

peace.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

F14 and F15 adjust the brightness on desktops - or is it only for external keyboards connected to books?

13. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

This is wierd or maybe I'm just ignorant and have never saw one, but all the keyboards I ever see only go up to F12. Of course there is the PrtScr, Scrool Lock, and Break key on the Logitech wireless keyboard I use from time to time.

How wide is a keyboard with up to F15?

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

can u give me any examples of what you use the fn key for that you cant do with out it??
    ive got most pro apps (well a few;) )

15. mms macrumors 6502a

F14 and F15 are good for brightness controls on my Cube and original Studio Display as well so it's not just for laptops. I'm not sure about the newest, white keyboards since I don't have one around right now but the black pro keyboards that shipped with my Cube have up to F15, and I'd assume that the newer ones do as well.

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

tha fn key allows you to use the function keys and bypass the 'hot keys' (volume, brightness, etc). everytime you go to use a function key doesn't your expose take over (since you've assigned it to the fn key)?

the white pro keyboard has 1-15. i can't remember what the graphite model had.

peace.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you think not having the f13 is bad. look at the people with the lightup keyboards, they even have less buttons.

iJon

18. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I'm not the person you're talking to, but for an example see Macromedia Flash. That program uses most, if not all (only 3 of them frequently), the function keys. It's a pain as I use a Powerbook 15".
    And only 12 fn keys here too.

... "12 fn keys" you know, if you say that out loud it kind of sounds lik..
    *slapped upside the head by a mod"
    Owe! ok ok...

Tyler
    Earendil