Where is the ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rabadash, Jun 18, 2005.

1. rabadash macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2005
    I'm all set to go to college next september and I've got my car, my dorm-room accessories, I even got a new turntable, but I don't have a computer yet. What I originally wanted was a 17" powerbook, but I've decided there not worth the money in their current form. So then I was thinking about an ibook, but I still have some reservations. I don't like the fact that it won't run core image, and I don't like that it's limited to such a low resolution. If either of these things were fixed, I would definitely buy one.
    I was hoping for a big update to the ibook line before school starts, but now with the intel switch in the works (like a new formfactor), I'm guessing there will be a small update in july/august, or possibly no update until october. Realistically, the Paris Expo is really too late to release an education oriented computer. Most school districts would have already started, and many college students (including myself) will have either left for college or already purchased a computer.
    Right now, here's where I stand. If apple doesn't update the ibook before the end of august, then I think I'll stick around in linux land and buy an IBM laptop or build me a dual core AMD desktop. Cause as it stands, I would be hesitant about purchasing an Apple laptop due to their age and the somewhat precarious intel situation, and their operating system is only so much better than linux for what I do(although it is very nice). So my question is, how likely is it that Apple releases an before the paris expo?
  2. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

Since Apple doesnt has a tight lip just about on everything, you are as clueless as everyone else. However if you do find out do tell me, Im hoping to get a iBook before I goto college as well in August :)
  3. The_Man macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2005
    I agree, I don't think apple can afford release an update for the iBook after schools start. The iBook is such a good student computer, that if they time the release of an update wrong, they it could easily result in bad sales.

Considering the iBook is way overdue for an update, and that people are looking to buy laptops for school this fall, I think they would be stupid to release the iBook as late as the Paris Expo. Apple would be losing a lot of customers that way.

I do think that apple knows all of this, so I hope they will release the refresh of the iBook line this summer before schools start in the fall.
  4. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Actually, I don't think the Intel switch will make any difference with the iBooks. They will probably be another year and a half at least before they move to Intel, as the Pro models will go first, probably PowerMac, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, eMac (if it's not discontinued). It may be late 2007 before there is an Intel iBook, so that means there will likely be two more updates, the first of which will be within the next month. I would expect updates in early July, maybe end of June, and if not, go ahead and buy whatever. I'm not a big fan of waiting for the latest model to come out when there's no official word.

5. macorama macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    Actually, it's more likely to be the consumer models going first, so I think it'll be a mini or iBook first, with powerbooks an outside chance.
  6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Steve said he'll be moving the consumer macs over first. the 'lowend".

I have to say however, I couldn't agree more.. starting University/college in september and i need to buy one mid august early sep!
  7. rabadash thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2005
    The one thing I've been reading is that people believe that the ibook updates won't happen until the powerbook is updated because they are so close. While I agree that the powerbook is really underwhelming when put up against the ibook, I don't think Apple will cripple one model at such a critical just because another isn't able to be competitive. Quite honestly, I bet Apple will let the Powerbook line have a little slack until it gets an Intel chip, mainly because I think they can get away with letting stagnant professional level computer because the consumer models are in a more volatile market.

Originally I expected to see a complete refresh of the ibook line because the model is so old, but I now suspect they'll wait until the first Intel model is ready next year. As to the level of updates I expect, If released before September I would expect to see a small speed bump or possibly they'll just make the 12" ibook's 1.33Ghz too. I also expect an update in video, either in ram (64mb) or in both GPU and ram.