Where is the memory slot on the intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MRU, Jan 16, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Having a look at some pictures, I cant seem to spot the memory slot for the new iMacs? Is is easily accesable?

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

its on the bottom - same as the iSight G5

so you access where the grill is on the bottom (where the speakers are)

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks bean :D You've been mega helpful today. Thanks a lot.

So it's ordered.. iMac 20" Duo Core 2ghz, 1gb x1, 250HD, 256mb Gfx

I considered the 500GB HD, but wasnt worth the BTO cost, an extra 250GB HD is cheaper as an external, and i'll order 1gb extra from crucial.

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

BRILLIANT - My advice worked, thats pleasing. I really hope you enjoy your iMac - It's the exact same Config as mine (I thought the same about the HD)

5. Toadinthehole macrumors newbie

6. DVK916 macrumors regular

That may just be because there isn't a 2GB DD2 SoDimm. the Intel chipset does support 4GB DDR2, so maybe the iMac will support 2GB DDR2 SoDimms when they come out.

7. Toadinthehole macrumors newbie

quote from the apple article:-

"The maximum amount of RAM you can install in the iMac is 2 GB total (a 1 GB SO-DIMM in each of the two slots)"

it appears not however i would be willing to give it a go once said memory becomes available.

8. tomacintosh macrumors regular

Yeah maybe they'll release a firmware update sometime.... or maybe they'll just keep it at 2GB so it isn't competition for the new PowerMac's :rolleyes:

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

With powermacs open to 16GB - 4 in the iMac wouldn't be too much competition.. Here's hoping anyway :)

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My Power Mac G4 had four slots and could officially support 512 MB in each slot, for a total of 2 GB. As it turned out, you could also use 1 GB modules, but the total was still limited to 2 GB. The iMac might be the same way - you may be able to use 2 GB modules in the future, but still be limited to 2 GB total.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The memory controller can only "see" up to a certain amount of RAM. You can put a higher capacity stick of but you won't be able to use all of the RAM on it.

12. bumfilter macrumors regular

MacRumorUser,

The hard drive BTO also increases the shipping time to 3-4 weeks, I couldn't wait that long, so I'm taking that off.

Regards the Crucial memory, they are out of stock plus they just put the price up from £86 to £100 odds. You may need to look elsewhere for it. I just got Apple to fit it, with HE discount it was only £20 dearer I think.

Good luck!

13. tomacintosh macrumors regular

I'd just put the hard drive in myself, sod waiting an extra month!

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It was seeing all the memory on the modules (I had two 1 GB modules and could use all 2 GB), and ignoring the other two slots. I suppose there was a "per module" limit too, but it was more than 1 GB.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Wow, that's a new one to me.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The specs for the system said that it had a 2 GB limit, so you could expect it to not support more than that. Officially you were only supposed to use 512 MB per slot. I only used 1 GB modules because ATI told me to :)

17. DVK916 macrumors regular

If the intel chipset supports 4GB why would apple limit it to 2GB. A 2GB limit would have to be one apple intentionally imposed and not a hardware one since the hardware it self was designed to support 4GB. I don't see apple having a reason to restrict the ram like this.