Where is the "Quick Search" Feature on my iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AJ Muni, Sep 12, 2006.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I just downloaded, and installed iTunes 7. Yet it seems like I dont have that feature steve was talking about. Any1 else have this problem? My ipod is currently software version 1.1.1

here is the pick from engagdet:

Attached Files:

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

In the past the updated iPod software has only applied to the new iPods.

In other words apple usually doesn't release the software to the older iPods.

Although they have released the game capability on the 5th gen which they've never done before (probably because they make a profit from games.)

If they some how give my 4th gen iPod gapless, I will be in heaven.

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I'm not sure this feature is being retrofitted, as I understood it only the games would be available on G5. Could be wrong tho...

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I assume they're going to have to release some kind of update for the 5G's because they can't play 640x480 video. It would be dumb if Apple didn't at least provide this functionality.

5. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Hytower77

Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    I was thinking along these lines too. Might as well make it one big update that does everything vs. leaving out this feature.

I hope they give it to the 5g!

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, looking at the specs of the "new" iPod, I really don't see anything new. I suppose there could be new hardware under-the-hood, but I doubt it.

Not only that, but the base-model is still the same capacity, so I don't see how offering the new features through a software update could impact sales of new iPods. I doubt many people will shell out $$$ for a new iPod with something as trivial as the quick-search capability.

7. simonthewolf macrumors member

But with iPod Updater apparently gone the way of the Dodo, does that mean we have to wait until iTunes 7.0.1 before the updated software is released? Seems rather odd...

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nah, the firmware files will be downloaded separately. iTunes installed an Apple Software Update tool on my PC. To update iTunes "and other Apple software"...

B

9. sanford macrumors 65816

It's probably notable that Apple is calling this new iPod 5th generation, too. I wouldn't be surprised if they release all the software updates to original 5Gs as the model firmware may be intended to be identical. It's the going back to earlier generations they usually don't do.

10. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

and also that they want you to buy the new products..

if u look at the product pages for the ipod and ipod nano, they list the searching as a feature of these models.. this to me implies it wont be available on older generations..

11. Annon macrumors member

I haven't found the quick search yet, but after I updated, I do have the letter that hvers over the list as you are scrolling.

12. vega07 macrumors 65816

but it doesn't make sense to not give the search function to the old 5G ipods.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you that new to dealing with Apple? :eek: ;) :D

Well, I don't have a 5G iPod anyway. But I hope for you all that they buck their usual trend and deliver you this functionality....

Not the contrasting magnanimity in comparison to my position on the MacTower, with respect to which I giggle with glee every time Apple smashes your hopes. :D

14. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Yeah me too..I also saw the brightness adjustment. Hopefully we can have the quick search option.

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I updated my 5G iPod to 1.2 a couple minutes ago. The only new feature mentioned in the release notes was support for games along with bug fixes. However, the update definitely also added gapless playback and the letter overlay to my iPod. I haven't seen the quick search feature though, but maybe there's some way to activate it?

16. Idioteque macrumors member

Well the new feature is kind of there on the old 5G pods.

If you quickly scroll through the song list or album list you will see letter previews in the middle of the screen. And then you can slowly scroll letter by letter. However, I have yet to find the search ffunctionality found in the picture that was posted above.

17. UberMac macrumors 6502

Well I've been digging around in iTunes and on my iPOd in the file structures. And I believe if an owner of the iPod (with the search facility) could post a couple of files I'm confident I would be able to install the software DESIGNED for the newest (5.5g?) iPod onto the current 5g iPods assuming there are no major changes under the hood, save for the battery and screen.

The file I'm really looking for is "SysInfo" which lives in "Uber's iPod/iPod_Control/Device". Just open it up in text edit and tell me what it says. I'll report back if I have any luck. Of course, it might all be stored in the firmware itself, in which case I'm buggered as they say in the business :)

Uber

18. joe8232 macrumors regular

I have a video ipod and I also cannot find the quick search function. I have updated to itunes 7 and the ipod update and have everything such as the letter appearing etc but no quick search. I cannot believe that apple would make this feature exclusive to the new ipods. Anyone had any luck searching for the search function!

19. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

I'm beginning to fear there will be no FULL search function on the older G5 ipods

reason: a stronger selling point for the new g5 ipod's

BUT

the smart scroll function is activated for a simple reason:
    scrolling with your thumb trough large libraries isn't very healthy.

this new feature reduces the scrolls per songsearch, so it's healthier..

don't know if this makes sense.. but.. somehow it does..

20. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I envy anyone who can reliably control their iPod with their thumb. Mine's too large to use the central button, almost no matter how carefully I angle my approach. And I know I'm not alone...

21. matthewroth macrumors member

not yet... BUT SOON!

if you delve into demo of the iPod on the mac site it shows that the option of 'Search' will be in the music sub-menu (with playlists, artists, albums etc.) to the guy who is looking into removing this from the new iPod and patching into the G5 (OLD!) i am on my way to the mac shop tommorow, if there is one out (plugged into a machine that is) i will e-mail myself the innards of the ipod and host them for you...

BTW: i just updated my G5 using itunes, it crashed and so did itunes. upon a restart my iPod is DEAD! :eek: :eek: :eek: :(

i wonder if i complain enough, will they give me a G5.5???

22. UberMac macrumors 6502

Ace, thanks. Hopefully you can find something, and I'll see what I can do with it. :)

Uber

EDIT: and it's "to the girl..." :D :p

23. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

On my 2G Nano, search is located in Music --> Search. I updated the software on my 5G Video, and no search. :(

24. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I really hope there is an update that provides this, I want it so badly!!!! :eek:

25. matthewroth macrumors member

me too!

well i am off to the mac center in a few and me and the gal on the board are taking the new search feature and atempting to patch it onto the old ipod fimware