Where is the story board?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by farmerdoug, Sep 21, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2008
    I wrote an application the included a story board; I downloaded an application that has a story board but there is no .storyboard file. Where do I look? I take it it's generated in the OverlayViewController.

2. macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Hi ...

Look for a directory called en.lproj where your source files are. Inside that directory is a file called MainStoryboard.storyboard. You can thusly see it in Finder.

Go to the menu: View/Navigators/ShowProjectNavigator. This way you can see the same storyboard file inside your project.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks but I don't think that's the right answer. I think code was from a verison that used something other that storyboard.
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    I'm confused.

First you say:
    Then you say:
    Are you looking for the storyboard in the app you wrote or in the app you downloaded? Or what?
  5. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    Yes, it's possible that they used a file type other than storyboard for building their interface. They may have used files with an extension of .nib (if it's really old,) or .xib (newer.)

The drawback with nibs/xibs is that each file can only contain a single view controller (or screen or scene or whatever you want to call it.) As a result, a lot of inter-vc communication has to be written in code. But storyboards were only introduced a year ago, so lots of sample code will still have .xibs.