Where on earth can I find packaging materials?!?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FleurDuMal, Aug 25, 2006.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hey,

I'm currently trying to raise some funds by selling off a lot of my stuff on ebay. I'd like to sell a couple of my guitars and amps (I don't use them at all anymore). However, I'm really struggling finding somewhere which simply sells cardboard boxes and other packaging materials such as bubble wrap/polystyrene/etc which I can use to post my stuff in. Does anyone know of any chain stores which will likely have a branch here in Manchester/Stockport (UK)? I don't want to order offline as I'm I need to get it all sorted before Thursday as I go back down to London then.

Thanks

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you guys have Staples or Office Depot?

You can open up a FedEx account, order their boxes and turn them inside out - use the padded packs for bubble wrap. (They do wise up eventually and stop shipping you supplies until your shipping meets up with the supplies you order, though.)

That's what I do. :D

3. Lau Guest

Do have a Pickfords or any of those storage companies near you? They sell cardboard boxes and big rolls of bubble wrap, but I'm not sure if they'd be guitar shaped or not. If you have a guitar shop near you they maybe have some guitar boxes kicking around though.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I "borrow" all mine from the shipping department at work. :eek: :cool:

But yeah, just go to a Staples, Office Depot, Kinko's - heck, the USPS may even have materials for sale at their locations.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

FleurDuMal
    macrumors regular

6. Lau Guest

He's in the UK, ~Shard~. Post offices and stationery shops are on a bit of a smaller scale here as a rule. For posting guitars and the like, I think a removal or storage firm would be a safer bet. You can get bubble wrap at the Post Office as a last resort, but it's in small rolls and a pricey way to buy it.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't expect ~Shard~ to actually read before he posts, do you? He's much more efficient this way...

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Third world countries. :rolleyes: :D

9. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yeah, our Post Offices act more as an arena for old people to conduct their whole social lives whilst collecting their pension rather than a place for any sort of meaningful commercial activity :p .

Staples is a great idea. I didn't even think of them. There's one literally 15 minutes drive from here. Their website seems to advertise some relevant stuff.

Thanks guys!

10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

You can also try checking in the dumpster or behind the building of local businesses. They're always seem to be throwing out this kind of stuff. That's what I always do when I need packaging material... it just seems like such a waste to go buy packaging material when most of it is available for free and can be reused.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just ship the guitar in a box stuffed with really cheap pillows. ;)

12. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Here is where my shipping manager gets his stuff from:

ULine

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So Staples has invaded Europe too?